June C. D. Carter
Professor of Spanish
Director of the Center for Teaching Excellence
Discover Languages! Discover the World!
Ph.D. University of Washington
Area of Specialty
- Contemporary Latin American literature
- Particular interest also in Afro-Hispanic literature and U.S. Latino literature and culture
- Cervantes Award – SC AATSP 2006
- South Carolina Foreign Language Teacher of the Year 2005
- Excellence in Teaching and Advising Award 2001
- Governor’s Distinguished Professor Award 2001
- Summer Research Fellowship UNC/Duke University Consortium, 2001
- Articles in Anuario de letras; Prismal/Cabral; Caribbean Quarterly; Studies in Afro-Hispanic Literature; Latin American Literary Review; The Rocky Mountain Review.
- Book: José Agustín: Onda and Beyond (Donald Schmidt co-editor).
- Numerous presentations at local, national, and international conferences.
She created and directs the
Study Abroad in Spain Program, a collaborative effort between Academic Programs International and USC Upstate, and the Foreign Language Teachers Workshop titled REFLECTIONS, which is offered each spring to foreign language teachers throughout the state.