Awards and Achievements of LLC Students
Moore Scholarship / Poetry Awards / Scholars Day Awards / Other Awards
Student Research Projects / Published Students and Student Presenters
Check Out These Opportunities for Publishing and Presenting at USC Upstate and Nationwide
Nancy P. Moore Scholarship
- Angela Schumpert, 2010
- Jason Funderburk, 2008
Gwendolyn Brooks Poetry Award Winners
- Zachary Compton, 2011
- Emily Kudeviz, 2010
- Sharae Walton, 2010
- Chris Bianco, 2009
- Laura Nicole Turner, 2008
Center for Undergraduate Research Assistantships and Grants
- Julie Leale (2010)--Into the Modernist Archive: Reading the Literary and Cultural Commentary of World War II. Dr. Celena E. Kusch, faculty advisor.
- Noemi Guerrero (2010)--Hispanic Children's Literature: Don't Think of Teaching Hispanic Culture Without It. Dr. June Carter, advisor.
- Cory Bohon (2009)--Developing Best Practices for Making Scholarly Digital Archives Accessible to Visually Impaired Endusers. Dr. George Williams, advisor.
- George Reed (2009)--Dialect Awareness for the South Carolina Middle School Social Studies Classroom. Dr. David Marlow, advisor.
- Melissa Trejo (2009)--Community Interpreting: Habitat for Humanity-USC Upstate Bilingual Partnership. Douglas Jackson, advisor.
- Christopher Kowalczyk (2008)--Renaissance Southern Italy. Dr. Catherine Canino, advisor.
- Rachel McAllister (2008)--Masculinity Studies: Grant Writing, Conference Paper, and Scholarly Article. Dr. Peter Caster, advisor.
- Anthony DeClue (2007)--A New Student Movement: Engaging Student Leaders in the First-Year Experience. Dr. Celena E. Kusch, advisor. Mr. DeClue presented his research at the Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, February 15-19, 2008, in San Francisco, CA.
- Zach Snow (2007)--Sergio Giral & The Other Francisco: the Denouncement of Romantic Myths in Cuban Slavery. Dr. June Carter, advisor.
- Zach Snow (2007)--Death's Day Off: Fiction and Short Film. Dr. Jorge Salvo, advisor.
Published Research and Presentations by LLC Students
- Joe Bodie's play, nothing, exactly, was performed by the Shoestring Players Oct. 28-31, 2011, in the HPAC Studio Theatre.
- Rowland, Jena, and David Marlow. "Dialect Awareness Education: The Importance of Watching our Words." USC Upstate Undergraduate Research Journal 3 (2010): 1-8.
- Brown, Ashley. "Wrapping It Up: Feminists and the Nineteenth Century Birth Control Movement." SEWSA 2010: Cultural Productions, Gender, and Activism. Columbia, SC, 25 Mar. 2010. Dr. Esther Godfrey, advisor
- Cunningham, Bronwyn. "Dorothea Dix and The Woman in White. SEWSA 2010: Cultural Productions, Gender, and Activism. Columbia, SC, 25 Mar. 2010. Dr. Esther Godfrey, advisor
- Tevault, Beth. "How Do You Solve a Problem like Marian: An Investigation into Narrative Discipline in Wilkie Collins's The Woman in White." SEWSA 2010: Cultural Productions, Gender, and Activism. Columbia, SC, 25 Mar. 2010. Dr. Esther Godfrey, advisor
- Davis, Stephen, and David Marlow. "The South Carolina Language and Life Project." Sixth Annual SC Upstate Research Symposium. Spartanburg, 26 Mar. 2010.
- Funderburk, Jason, and Lisa Johnson. "Emotionally Ill(literate): Disabling Affect and the Politics of 'Spass' in Lars Von Trier's Idioterne." Sixth Annual SC Upstate Research Symposium. Spartanburg, 26 Mar. 2010.
- Kelly, Sharon, and David Marlow. "Playing God: World-Making Words." Sixth Annual SC Upstate Research Symposium. Spartanburg, 26 Mar. 2010.
- Rowland, Jena, and David Marlow. "Toward Including Linguistic Awareness in Diversity Education: Applications of a 'Universal' Approach to All Varieties of English." Sixth Annual SC Upstate Research Symposium. Spartanburg, 26 Mar. 2010.
- Funderburk, Jason. "Extraordinary Affects: Cultural Politics of Emotion in International Film." 2009 PCAS/ACAS Conference. Wilmington, NC, 1 Oct. 2009. Dr. Lisa Johnson, advisor.
- Crocker, John, and Celena E. Kusch. "Race and Class Identity in The Great Gatsby and Passing." Proceedings of the Fifth Annual SC Upstate Research Symposium, Spartanburg, 27 March 2009. Spartanburg: USC Upstate Sponsored Awards and Research, 2009. 126-128.
- Andrew, Allison, and Peter Caster. "Collaborative Writing: An Autoethnographic Study of Co-Authorship." USC Upstate Undergraduate Research Journal 1 (2008): 1-6.
- Jackson, Johanna, and June Carter. "The Intersection of Race and Gender in Down These Mean Streets . " USC Upstate Undergraduate Research Journal 1 (2008): 46-50.
- Williams, Emma Jane, and Danielle Raquidel. "L'îsle des rêves écrasés par Chantal Spitz, ou l'assertion de l'identité Ma'ohi en Fenua." USC Upstate Undergraduate Research Journal 1 (2008): 33-38.
Scholars Day Awards in LLC
Outstanding Achievement in Spanish
- Rachel Lovelace, 2011
- Noemi Guerrero, 2010
- Andrew Sickles, 2009
- Marybell Alvarez-Acevedo, 2008
Achievement in Foreign Language-Non-major
- Sungmi Orr, 2011 French
- Casey Andrew Weidman, 2011 German
- Franchezka Westwood, 2011 Spanish
- Hope Bennett, 2010 French
- Jennifer Serrat, 2010 German
- Rebecca Kilby, 2010 Spanish
- Maria Herrera, 2009 French
- Dawn Smith, 2009 German
- Nicholas Hannouche, 2008 Spanish
- Bethany Wiens, 2008 French
Achievement in Spanish Education
Achievement in Lower Level Foreign Language
- Taylor Brown, 2010 Spanish
- Amanda Darchiville, 2010 Chinese
- Randi Hunton, 2010 French
- Jason Kneese, 2010 German
First-Year Achievement in Writing
- Ciera Burnett, 2011
- Andrew Ollom, 2010
- Dominique Finley, 2009
- Madelaine Hoptry, 2009
- Aaron Winters, 2009
- Harrison Kaplan, 2008
Outstanding Creative Writer
- Joseph Bodie, 2011
- Anna Washburn, 2010
- Emily Kudeviz, 2009
- Candice McCuen, 2008
Outstanding English Major
- Elizabeth TeVault, 2011
- Jason Funderburk, 2010
- Alice Austin, 2009
- John Crocker, 2008
Outstanding English Education Major
- Andrea Yon, 2011
- Jena Rowland, 2010
- Matt Carroll, 2009
- Cassi Harman, 2008