Primary Sources: Digital Images
By the end of the Primary Sources: Digital Images Workshop, each participant will be able to:
1. identify different file formats used with digital images.
2. locate and save digital images from the American Memory collections.
3. cite several ways primary sources digital images can enhance classroom instruction.
4. utilize LOC resources to create lessons that give students the opportunity to practice using critical thinking skills.
I. Digital Images
a. Digital Image File Formats
i. PowerPoint: Making Sense of Digital Images
ii. Handout: Graphic Image Format Chart
iii. Handout: Digital Image File Format Comparison
iv. Printed Photo Comparison (Children Playing in Sand)
Þ Pass around the printed photos (minor visible difference)
b. Activity: Image Quality Comparison (displayed on a computer) (Activity Plan)
II. American Memory Digital Images
a. Discussion: Images: Focus on the details!
b. Searching for Images in American Memory
Selections included are:
Þ American Memory Search
Þ Pathfinders for Browsing
Þ Search Tools
· Finding Items in American Memory
· Synonym List
· Searching Tips for American Memory
· Searching Full Text in American Memory
· What American Memory Resources are Included in this Search?
c. Activity: Analyzing a Primary Source Photograph (Activity Plan)