800 University WaySpartanburg, SC 293031-864-503-5000
Ryan CornfieldTeam: Men's Golf
Lexi Shubert - 44Team: Softball
On evenings that the library is open until 2:00 a.m., circulation, reference and computer lab services end at 10:00 p.m. Holiday, interim and summer hours vary.
1. What should I do if I forget who my advisor is?The JCBE office does not assign advisors. A list of advisors is on the touchscreen located at the entrance door. Students should contact an advisor in the student's concentration area by email, phone or during faculty office hours.
2. How do I get admitted into the George Dean Johnson, Jr. College of Business and Economics (JCBE)?Once accepted by the USC Upstate Admissions Office, business major applications are sent to the Johnson College of Business and Economics for further evaluation. When the student has met requirements and is ready to enroll into 300-level classes, the student must complete the Johnson College of Business and Economics Application to the Professional Program. This application form is located in the Student Service Center office (located in The George, room 210).3. What is the process for registering for classes?Make an appointment to see an advisor in your concentration area. Sign-up sheets will be posted in the atrium area of the first floor of The George one week prior to advisement week.
Meet your selected advisor at the designated time (JCBE does not assign advisors.) If you miss your appointment time, contact your advisor as soon as possible so another time can be scheduled. Failure to notify your selected advisor after a missed appointment, or not showing up for your appointment may cause a delay in your registration time. This delay can affect the availability of courses that you want or need.
Once a student meets with his or her selected advisor, the student must be cleared for registration by the Student Support office at The George in room 210. Students can then then check the VIP system for their registration times. Registration times are assigned through the Records office and based on the number of academic credit hours earned.
Each semester, signs are posted around campus noting when advisement and registration begins. You may also consult the USC Upstate website.
4. How do I change my major?Change of Major forms are available in the JCBE Office of Student Services(The George, room 210). When complete, bring the form to The George room 210 to obtain the Associate Dean's signature. The Change of Major form should then be taken to the new department/division.
5. How do I withdraw from a class or from the University?There are several ways/reasons for withdrawing from a class or completely withdrawing from the University. Below is an explanation of the different ways/reasons. You may also consult your catalog.
Course withdrawal is allowed after late registration until the last day to drop without penalty (the last day of the tenth week of the regular semester) through VIP, with a grade of "W" recorded on the permanent record. For classes that earn a "W", the semester hours for the course will not be included in the hours attempted, grade point average or any other totals. During summer sessions or other shortened terms, students are allowed to withdraw from a course before 72 percent to the total number of class days.
Application due in Deans/Division Office
Application due in Records Office
May(walk in May)
August(walk in May)
December(walk in Dec.)
7. How do I apply for an internship for credit?A student who wishes to enroll in an internship may do so by engaging a supervising faculty member, completing a contract in association with that faculty member, securing approval of the assistant dean, and registering in the Records Office. Internship forms should be completed no later than the first week of the semester in which the student is interning. Forms are available in the JCBE Office of Student Services.
8. How do I audit a class or change from credit to audit?Auditing a course means attending classes and listening without actively participating in the class. Students must meet course prerequisites. The auditor is not responsible for class assignments or examinations. No academic credit is earned for a course which is audited nor may it be earned later through examination. A student who has audited a course is not prohibited from taking the course later for credit. A student who wishes to audit a course must be admitted to the University and enroll in the course as an auditor. However, students taking the class for credit are given preference over auditors where enrollment limits are a concern. A student who is auditing a course, but who wishes to take the course for credit, may change his or her registration by the end of the late registration period. Students wishing to audit a course or to change from credit to audit may do so only with permission of the instructor. Each instructor may set attendance conditions for the audit. Students not meeting those conditions will be withdrawn from the audit after the semester ends, with the withdrawal date listed on their transcript.
The last day to change credit to audit is the same day as the last day to withdraw without academic penalty. At the end of the semester when the faculty turn the grade sheets into the Records Office, any student who has not met the conditions of the audit as reported by the faculty member will be withdrawn. Faculty will submit a withdrawn from Audit form.
For more information, contact the University of South Carolina UpstateJohnson College of Business and EconomicsOffice of Student Services:160 East St. John StreetSpartanburg, SC 29306Toll-free: 800-277-8727Phone: 864-503-5580Fax: 864-503-5583
Downtown Campus InformationCampus Shuttle and ParkingDriving DirectionsBuilding HoursBookstoreI.D. Cards and Parking Decals Expected Business Dress Tobacco Use Policy
News and Events
Business Blitz Week
Johnson Innovation Series
Wells Fargo Speaker Series
SunTrust Financial Literacy Program
Johnson College in the News
JCBE Happy Video
The SARS Student Advisement System
Johnson College ResourcesLetter from the DeanLeadership Advisory Council Master ScheduleRegistration and AdvisingNew Business Course Listings
Frequently Asked QuestionsJohnson College FacultyStudent of the MonthBeta Gamma Sigma
Support the JCBEFacility Room Rental
Frank Rudisill, Ph.D.Dean, Professor of Management
Administrative Assistant to the Dean
Elnora Stuart, Ph.D.Associate Dean, Professor of Marketing
Brian SmithTechnology Coordinator
Deborah Sparks Administrative Assistant
Freshmen Advisor & Student Services Coordinator
Sarah C. Butler
Transfer Advisor & Student Services Coordinator
George Dean Johnson, Jr.College of Business and Economics
160 East St. John Street
Spartanburg, SC 29306
Faculty & Staff Directory
The University Center
225 S. Pleasantburg Drive
Greenville, SC 29607
The University of South Carolina Upstate is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and masters degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of USC Upstate. Comments or Complaints?