USC Upstate/BMW Manufacturing Academic Outreach Camp
Have you ever wondered how mathematics and science are actually used to improve the processes to build things like BMW vehicles? Did you know these improvement tools and processes are also used by other industries and organizations such as healthcare, finance and the U.S. Armed Forces?
The Academic Outreach Camp will introduce students to exciting and real world applications of mathematics and statistics. In addition, their team work and leadership skills will be honed and improved.
Students will gain hands-on experience in learning and applying Lean and Six Sigma tools to computerized challenges, physical simulations, case studies, and teaching games.
Students will also have the opportunity to meet with manufacturing professionals using these tools and skills as part of their careers. Students will also participate in an in-depth tour of BMW and USC Upstate’s Healthcare Simulation Center. They’ll even get a chance to improve their driving skills behind the wheel of a BMW vehicle.
2014 USC Upstate/BMW Academic Outreach Camp. Video credit: Greg Grom (left); Bobby Alexander (right).
Highlights of the camp
- Process improvement tools taught by BMW engineers and USC Upstate faculty
- Multiple process simulation exercises
- Extensive tour of the BMW manufacturing facility
- Safe driving school at the BMW Performance Center
- Tour of the USC Upstate Campus
- Activities in Healthcare Simulation Center
Students will gain...
- Understanding of the process improvement concepts used by world class companies
- Exposure to Lean manufacturing tools such as 5S, Value Stream Mapping and Process Flow
- Training in Six Sigma concepts such as DMAIC, Process Capability, ANOVA, SPC, and DOE
- Insight into careers from manufacturing and healthcare professionals
- Appreciation of the technology and complexity in modern manufacturing
- Improved driving skills while driving a BMW at the performance center
What type of students are we looking for?
Demonstrated ability in math and science
Interested in a career in manufacturing, engineering or healthcare
Rising high school senior in Greenville, Spartanburg or Cherokee County
Letter of recommendation from high school guidance counselor or teacher
Valid SC driver’s license or permit
How do I apply?
Complete the application online or print a copy and return it to the Office of Admissions (the deadline for 2014 has now passed)
Submit high school transcripts and PSAT, SAT or ACT scores
Submit a letter of recommendation from your high school guidance counselor or teacher
Deadline to apply is March 17, 2014.
Students will be selected to participate in the camp by a selection committee
Is there any cost for the camp?