echo360 - Lecture Capture
ITS is pleased to offer the Echo 360® lecture capture platform. The system
provides for simple screen capture recording and editing (audio & video),
media hosting (live and on demand streaming) and scheduled recording (in select
classrooms). The technology supports creative blended, inverted or flipped
pedagogy for distance and mobile classrooms and allows students to access course
materials on demand from many popular devices.
"Lecture capture is a teaching tool that records instructor
voice and video, and supporting course materials. Despite the name, lecture
capture is not limited to the classroom. It is used to create learning modules
and tutorials from offices and other learning spaces. Students access
educational materials on their own time and at their own pace on computers and
other devices." Learn more about Echo Capture Options.
- Personal Capture:
content on a laptop, personal computer on or off campus.
- Simple editing and upload functionality.
- Publish content and share to Blackboard with a click of a button; or customize by sharing a link for anytime anywhere access by students.
- Classroom Capture:
- Record content within a classroom with no
instructor intervention in Media 220, HEC 2005, The George 260, Smith 320 or HEC 2039. CLC Ballroom will be added in late September/early October
- Same automated linking to Blackboard
- Management of recordings Captioning Services
- Control and manage availability of recordings
- Choose Low, Standard or High Def recordings
- Media upload capability for content not created in Echo
- Captioning of Echo 360 recordings is available upon request.
- Additional features
- Student’s with Slow Internet Connection Speeds who are having trouble streaming videos can click on the NEW Gear located on the right hand side of the EchoCenter BlackBoard Edition, and then select Low Bandwidth. The ESS will then show a more compressed version of the video that the student can watch.
- EchoCenter added support for Android Mobile Devices in addition to iOS devices that were already supported. Students should be able to watch content on their Android Mobile Device by clicking the Vodcast Link located in the EchoCenter BlackBoard Edition.
- Classroom Capture Appliance will broadcast content LIVE on the New EchoCenter BlackBoard Edition. Professors who have the Capture Appliance Schedule by an ITS Technician will have the option of showing their content LIVE within EchoCenter BlackBoard Edition.
- Discussions can be made by students while a capture is playing in the EchoPlayer. This can only be accomplished by using the EchoCenter BlackBoard Edition. Professors who use EchoCenter on their own Blog or Website will not be able to use the Echo Discussions Feature.
Echo 360 is available to all USC Upstate faculty,
staff and students.
Echo 360 is provided
at no additional cost to the faculty, staff and currently enrolled students at
USC Upstate. Please note that Echo 360 is the recommended and only support
lecture capture tool provided by ITS. Adobe Presenter or Camtasia may be purchased by departments directly.
- Windows XP or Newer (PC)
- Mac OS X or Newer (Apple)
- 2 GB RAM
- Internet Connection (for downloading Echo client and
- 20 GB of free hard disk space
Media Encoder 9 Series or newer(PC)
- QuickTime 7.5.5 or newer (Apple)
Camera and Microphone requirements for capturing Audio or Video:
Echo Personal capture can be used with a built-in (integrated) or external
web camera (web cams). It uses Windows Media Encoder (WME) to recognize built in
(integrated) web cameras (web cams) on laptops. WME does not recognize some
webcams, causing some not to function. ITS recommends using the built in camera
on USC Upstate issued laptops. If you do not have a USC Upstate issued laptop
or if the laptop does not have a built in camera you can either check out a
web cam from the Help Desk or purchase a recommended web cam.
- Contact the Help Desk (phone
864-503-5257 or email: email@example.com) for
assistance with downloading and installing the Personal Capture software, or use
the following link to download directly:
- Download the personal capture software.
- Be prepared to provide or confirm
your Blackboard course ID (exact) and section number(s).
classrooms on campus are equipped with Echo 360 capture appliances for scheduled
classroom recording: Media 220, HEC 2005, The George 260, Smith 320 and HEC 2039. These classrooms include cameras
and microphones to record the faculty member (at the front of the room) and
whatever is being displayed via projector. Contact the Help Desk (see above) to
arrange for classroom capture in either of these rooms. Specific arrangements to
schedule a class in these rooms are handled through the office of the Registrar
and are the responsibility of the faculty member and/or department.
Please Note: When sending video links to students, please post the link to the echo center in Blackboard. Posting links from the Echo Center email you receive will not work for students. The Echo System Server will begin deleting videos files after two years. It will also stop streaming
videos after the semester has ended (but allow downloads for two years.)