echo360 - Lecture Capture
USC Upstate ITS is pleased to offer the Echo 360® lecture capture platform. The system provides for simple screen capture recording and editing (audio & video), media hosting (live and on demand streaming) and scheduled recording (in select classrooms). The technology supports creative blended, inverted, or flipped pedagogy for distance and mobile classrooms and allows students to access course materials on demand from many popular devices.
From Echo 360:
"Lecture capture is a teaching tool that records instructor voice and video, and supporting course materials. Despite the name, lecture capture is not limited to the classroom. It is used to create learning modules and tutorials from offices and other learning spaces. Students access educational materials on their own time and at their own pace on computers and other devices
- Records content on a laptop, personal computer or use the classroom appliances in Smith320 or HEC2039.
- Records content within a classroom with no instructor intervention.
- Publish content to Blackboard with a click of a button.
- Simple editing and upload functionality.
Echo 360 is available to all USC Upstate faculty, staff, and students.
Echo 360 is provided at no additional cost to the faculty, staff and currently enrolled students at USC Upstate.
Please note that echo360 is the recommended and only support lecture capture tool provided by ITS. Adobe Presenter See Adobe Products in VIP Software Distribution) or Camtasia may be purchased by departments directly.
- Windows XP or Newer (PC)
- Mac OS X or Newer (Apple)
- 2 GB RAM
- Internet Connection (for downloading Echo client and uploading content)
- 20 GB of free hard disk space
- Windows Media Encoder 9 Series or newer(PC)
- QuickTime 7.5.5 or newer (Apple)
Camera and Microphone requirements for capturing Audio or Video:
Echo Personal capture can be used with a built-in (integrated) or external web camera (webcams). It uses Windows Media Encoder (WME) to recognize built in (integrated) web cameras (webcams) on laptops. WME does not recognize some webcams, causing some not to function. ITS recommends using the built in camera on USC Upstate issued laptops. Iif you do not have a USC Upstate issued laptop or if the laptop does not have a built in camera you can either check out a webcam from the Help Desk or purchase a recommended webcam.
- Contact the Help Desk (visit Admin. 109, phone 864-503-5257 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance with downloading and installing the Personal Capture softward, or use the following link to download directly:
- Download the personal capture software.
- Be prepared to provide or confirm your Blackboard course ID (exact) and section number(s).
Two classrooms on campus are equipped with Echo 360 capture appliances for scheduled classroom recording: Smith 320 and HEC 2039. These classrooms include cameras and microphones to record the faculty member (at the front of the room) and whatever is being displayed via projector. Contact the Help Desk (see above) to arrange for classroom capture in either of these rooms. Specific arrangements to schedule a class in these rooms are handled through the office of the Registrar and are the responsibility of the faculty member and/or department.