Spartan GreenSky is an initiative of USC Upstate to provide anywhere, anytime access to USC Upstate email, files and course-required software for all students, faculty and staff. Included in these services are email, cloud storage and virtual computer access. With Spartan GreenSky users can access any of these services via any computer with Internet access, including access to nearly all computer labs and specialized software previously only available in specific computer labs.
Users now have the ability to visit computer labs via personal computer or tablet using Spartan GreenSky, as opposed to going in person to a particular lab just to use the computers. You can now use your laptop, iPad or Android tablet from anywhere with access to the internet, to access computer labs in much the same you do when you visit the lab in person. Just like email and skydrive are available from anywhere as a cloud service, now USC Upstate computer labs are just as accessible.
Click here for a list of software available through Spartan GreenSky.
- Allows users to access any USC Upstate lab computer via their personal computers or tablets.
- No need to visit a computer lab to get access to course specific software.
- Allows users to access all lab software from any lab on campus. No more having to visit one particular lab to gain access to specific software.
- Users don’t have to visit campus to use the computer labs; now they are available from anywhere you have Internet access.
- All faculty, staff and students at USC Upstate.
None. This service is free to all students, faculty and staff at USC Upstate.
Requirements for Use:
- Windows Xp or newer (PC)
- Mac OS X or newer (Apple)
- 2GB RAM
- Broadband Internet connection
- Apple iPad
- Android Tablet
VMware View Client for Windows 32-bit
VMware View Client for Windows 64-bit
VMware View Client for Mac OSX
VMware View Client for Android
VMware View Client for iOS
Don't see what you're looking for? Check out the VMware download page.
How Do I Get Started:
- Download and install the View client on your device.
- Open the View client and enter your username and password (same username and password you use for Upstate labs and Email).
- Select the computer you’d like to run.
A persistent desktop allows the user to save files and install programs on their virtual machine. Faculty and staff members may request a persistent desktop if they have a specific need for one - i.e. to replace their physical machine or to allow them to install specialized software on their virtual machine. Once they have access they will login to the faculty/staff pool. Please note that even if you do not have a persistent desktop you can still save work created in Spartan GreenSky to your network drives or a flash drive. Please email the Help Desk to request a persistent desktop or if you have any questions.
Support Tutorials and Troubleshooting:
What is the Cloud?
The Cloud simply means a service is accessible via the Internet. Software, files and information are not hosted or kept on your physical computer so they are available to you via any device. This includes your email, files, software or even a computer.
What is VDI?
VDI is an acronym referring to Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, the practice of hosting the desktop operating system on a virtual machine (VM) running on a centralized server. The computer and all its software is hosted from within the datacenter so management is centralized and much more flexible than managing hundreds of individual physical computers.