Enhanced LIFE Scholarship, Palmetto Fellows Scholarship and Hope Scholarship
On June 29, 2007, the South Carolina General Assembly passed legislation that enhances the value of LIFE and Palmetto Fellows awards for students majoring in math and science disciplines. Also, the maximum award for the Hope Scholarship has been increased. These changes are effective beginning in the fall of 2007. Note the text in red for the most recent changes.
On May 22, 2008, H.4408 became law. As of this date, the “minimum 6 hours of math and 6 hours of science to include one lab” has been rescinded. As a result, to gain eligibility for the enhanced award, the appropriate recipient must have earned a minimum of 14 hours of science and/or math prior to their sophomore year. AP/IB credits and dual enrollment courses (college credit courses taken while still in high school) can satisfy the 14 hour rule.
Basic eligibility requirements for the enhanced awards are:
Palmetto Fellows – in addition to the base Palmetto Fellows:
- Recipients with 30 hours, and who, as a freshman, earned 14 hours worth of math and/or science and who has declared one of the eligible majors (listed below) may receive an additional amount of up to $3,300 for a maximum of $10,000.
- Palmetto Fellows with 30 hours, but who do not meet the conditions above, may receive an additional amount of up to $800 for a maximum of $7,500.
- Entering freshmen, regardless of major, may receive a maximum of $6,700.
LIFE Scholarship – in addition to the base LIFE Scholarship:
- Recipients with 30 hours, and who, as a freshman, earned 14 hours worth of math and/or science and who has declared one of the eligible majors (listed below) may receive an additional amount of up to $2,500 for a maximum of $7,500.
- Entering freshmen, regardless of major, and upperclassmen who do not meet the above conditions, may receive a maximum award of $5,000.
- The value of the Hope Scholarship has increased from $2,650 to $2,800.
USC Upstate Eligible majors and codes as of July 25, 2007:
- Information Management and Systems – 170
- Computer Information Systems – 132
- Secondary Education: 373
- Biology – 106
- Math – 145
- Chemistry – 109
- Computer Science – 108
- Engineering Technology Management – 430
- Nursing Generic – 050
- Nursing RN to BSN Completion – 051
The major must be declared and showing in the USC Upstate system prior to the last day of drop/add for the fall semester for the award to be in place. Any majors changed/declared AFTER this date will not be eligible for the enhanced award for the full academic year.
You may access www.che.sc.gov for more information.