The South Carolina Vision Education Partnership
USC Upstate- SCSDB
The University of South Carolina Upstate
The South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind
The Vision Education Partnership between the University of South Carolina Upstate and the South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind, designed to prepare teachers of children and youth who have blindness or visual impairment (VI), is the only VI program in the state.
Reasons for Earning a Master of Education in Special Education Vision Impairment
- Of the approximately 1280 children and youth from birth to age 21 with VI, only 680 are served by appropriately certified teachers.
- Of the 85 teachers currently certified in visual impairment, 48% plan to retire in the next seven years.
- Thirty-three of the school districts that enroll students with blindness or visual impairment employ no VI teachers.
- The need for highly qualified teachers for this special population is already critical.
- You can make a difference.
Click here to view professional development options for VI teachers. (PDF)*