Spartanburg, S.C. - The South Carolina Academy of Authors will hold its annual Induction Ceremony in Spartanburg on Saturday evening, April 17, at the University of South Carolina Upstate. This year's event is unique in that the academy will admit four living South Carolina authors for the first time: William Price Fox, Dot Jackson, Ron Rash, and George Singleton.
Founded in 1986, the academy recognizes the achievements of prominent South Carolina authors, including William Gilmore Simms, DuBose Heyward, Josephine Pinckney, Benjamin Mays, Julia Peterkin, James McBride Dabbs, Elizabeth Boatwright Coker, James Dickey, Pat Conroy, Josephine Humphreys, John Jakes, and Dori Sanders.
The induction ceremony is the culmination of a series of events beginning on Thursday, April 15 that feature prominent authors reading their works and sharing dialogue with audiences. Primary co-sponsors of the academy's festivities include USC Upstate, Wofford College, The Spartanburg County Public Libraries, Furman University, Gardner-Webb University, and BMW.
The following events are open to the public:
- USC Upstate presents George Singleton in the Authors@Upstate series. Thursday, April 15 at 4:00 p.m. in the Health Education Complex on North Campus Drive, J M Smith Board Room. Free admission.
- Wofford College hosts "Remembering James Dickey: A Conversation with Dot Jackson, Bronwen Dickey, John Lane and Deno Trakas," Friday, April 16 at 4:00 pm in the Art Gallery of the Sandor Teszler Library. Free admission.
- The Spartanburg County Public Libraries' Main Branch presents a panel discussion in which William Price Fox, Dot Jackson, Ron Rash, and George Singleton will identify and comment upon favorite passages from their own works. Saturday, April 17 at 2:00 p.m. in the Barrett Room. Free admission.
- USC Upstate hosts the Induction Ceremony honoring William Price Fox, Dot Jackson, Ron Rash, and George Singleton. Saturday, April 17, reception at 6:00 p.m. and ceremonies at 7:00 p.m. in the Campus Life Center Ballroom. The reception will be followed by sale and signing of authors' books (organized by Hub City Writers Project). Open to the public, $35/person includes cocktail reception with hors d'oeuvres. For tickets, contact academy board member Nancy Dew Taylor in Greenville at (864) 329-8535 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Converse College will host a post-induction brunch featuring Cathy Smith Bowers, who will announce the 2010 recipient of the Carrie McCray Nickens Prize in Poetry and will read the winning work. Sunday, April 18 at 10:30 a.m. The brunch is open to the public at no charge, but reservations are required due to limited seating. For reservations, contact academy board member Nancy Dew Taylor in Greenville at (864) 329-8535 or at email@example.com
For further information contact academy board member Betsy Teter in Spartanburg at (864) 577-9349 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
, or consult the web site at http://www.scacademyofauthors.org/
. For Saturday evening tickets or Sunday brunch reservations, contact academy board member Nancy Dew Taylor in Greenville at (864) 329-8535 or at email@example.com