Registration Information for New Students (degree-seeking)
Registering for fall classes is as easy as 1, 2, 3...
1. Set your VIP ID password to access Self Service Carolina
Self Service Carolina is a website where you’ll manage your business with the University: complete enrollment steps, register for classes, view grades, review financial aid information and pay your bill. To set up access to Self Service Carolina, you’ll need two pieces of information: your VIP ID and the last four digits of your USC ID. Both can be found on your acceptance letter. Once you have both numbers in hand, go to my.sc.edu/vipid and click on "I am a new user who has never used my VIP ID and need to establish my password." Follow the steps to set your password. If you have forgotten your password or need to change it, return to my.sc.edu/vipid and follow the steps to reset your password.
2. Make a reservation to attend Orientation
All new students must attend Orientation. Make your reservation as soon as possible after receiving your welcome packet. For all the details about Orientation and to make your reservation, visit the Orientation website.
3. Attend Orientation and register for classes.
During Orienation you'll meet your classmates, get acquainted with the campus and register for classes! You’ll meet with an academic advisor who will help you choose the best courses for you, and Student Orientation Leaders will help you through the registration process. It's that easy!
To access your fees after you've registered for classes at Orientation, simply log into Self Service Carolina with your VIP ID and password. From the Student tab, select "Registration," then "Fee Assessments" to access your fees. When your bill is correct, including housing if applicable, pay your fees to complete the total process. All fees must be paid before the posted cancellation date to avoid having your schedule cancelled.
Need help with registration?
A staff member in the Records Office will be glad to introduce you to the new system and help you register for classes.
Drop/Add and Section Changes
- The last day to add a course or make a section change is the third day of class.
- After you have completed registration, you may drop, add and make section changes until the third day of class. Simply consult with your advisor and use Self Service Carolina to make necessary adjustments to your schedule.
- Students adding and dropping beyond the 100% refund period may incur additional fees.
- Beginning the 6th day of the semester, a “W” is recorded for courses dropped.
Corrections and Changes
The University reserves the right to cancel classes, change instructors and/or change class times as necessary to meet all the needs of the institution. The academic schedule is subject to change.
Academic Advisement Centers