Utility Menu

Know the Signs

Information for Faculty/Staff

How do I recognize a student who may be struggling with substance use?
Any sudden change in student performance could indicate a drug or alcohol issue or another mental health concern. If you notice a student suddenly withdrawing from class discussion, participating less in class, and/or missing class, discuss your concern(s) with the student. You can refer them to Health Education or Counseling Services for further assistance.

How can I encourage students to make healthy choices within the classroom?
Encourage students to attend alcohol-free events on campus and within the community. Particularly at the end of the week, remind students to engage in safe partying behaviors and use a designated driver if they plan to drink over the weekend. 

How do I refer a student?
Please have the student contact Health Education to schedule an appointment. If the problem requires more immediate attention, on-call/crisis appointments are available through Counseling Services.

Contact Information

  • Health Education (864) 503-5536 Campus Life Center, Suite 220

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Campus Life Center, Suite 220 

Contact Us
Sydney Will
Health Educator  

USC Upstate
800 University Way
Spartanburg, SC 29303