Utility Menu

Chris Garden

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an appointment?
To make an initial appointment with a Counseling Services, call our office at 864-503-5195 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Please be prepared to give us your contact information including your name, university email, and your daytime phone number.
Return to top...

Is there a fee for Counseling Services?
Counseling Services provides free service to University of South Carolina Upstate students.
Return to top...

Can USC Upstate students in Greenville be seen at Counseling Services?
Yes, USC Upstate students in Greenville are fully eligible for Counseling Services.  Students can either access services at the Upstate campus or counselors will come to UCG to provide services.  Please contact our main office at 864-503-5195 to schedule an appointment.
Return to top...

Are the services completely confidential?
Counseling Services at the University of South Carolina Upstate strictly protects the confidentiality of information shared during sessions. We are ethically committed to confidentiality and federal/state laws require it. This means that even your attendance in counseling is kept private and confidential.

State and Federal law states that there are four exceptions to this general rule:

  1. When you request (by means of a signed release) that your counselor reveal information to other individuals or agencies of your choice.
  2. In instances where there is imminent danger of serious harm to yourself or others.
  3. In cases involving physical and/or sexual abuse of children or endangered adults.
  4. Where otherwise requested by subpoena or mandated by court order or state/federal law.

Return to top...

What do I do in a crisis?
Counseling Services (864-503-5195) provides crisis intervention services 24-hours a day.  Between the hours of 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, call or come to the Counseling Services office (Sansbury Campus Life Center, Suite 224) and MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOU ARE IN CRISIS.  Students will be seen as soon as possible.  If you are in ongoing treatment at Counseling Services, you may ask to speak with your regular counselor, if they are available. After hours, call 503-7777 to reach a crisis counselor.  The University Police will ask for your number, contact a counselor who will then return your call.
Return to top...

Can I speak to a therapist during or after office hours?
If you call the center during office hours you may ask to speak with the on-call counselor. The on-call counselor will not offer therapy on the phone but will assist with emergencies, students in urgent need, or help you get an appointment. If you call after hours, you will be directed to contact University Police (503-7777) who will ask for your phone number,   contact the counselor on call who will then return your call.
Return to top...

How do I cancel/reschedule an appointment?
In order to cancel or reschedule an appointment please call our front desk 864-503-5195.  We request a 24 hour notification.
Return to top...

Can faculty or staff use Counseling Services?
Counseling Services encourages faculty and staff to consult with counselors when concerned about students.  This often provides opportunity for the center to provide outreach to students that are identified as in distress. 
Return to top...

University of South Carolina Upstate faculty and staff are not eligible for personal counseling services.  
USC Upstate’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP), provides information and support for personal life issues. The EAP can provide help in a variety of areas, including:

  • Depression                                                  
  • Grief and Loss                                             
  • Relationship Problems                              
  • Alcohol and Drug Related Problems      
  • Financial Pressures
  • Family Problems
  • Parenting Concerns
  • Stress/Anxiety

EAP services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 1-866-327-2400 for more information.
Return to top...

How long can I get therapy at Counseling Services?
You can access services as long as you are a student at USC Upstate.
Return to top...

How can I access psychiatric services on campus?
You make an appointment with a counselor for an initial assessment and if appropriate will be referred to the contractual psychiatrist on our staff.
Return to top...

Can I walk in and be seen immediately?
Counseling Services has a walk in policy for students in crisis. All others are encouraged to make an appointment by phone or in person at the front desk. Counseling Services will meet with students in crisis the same day typically, shortly after they walk in to the center.
Return to top...

Can I request a certain clinician?
At the time of your initial request you will be asked if there is a specific clinician you want to see.  We will do all we can to match you with a counselor who will meet your needs.
Return to top...

Do you offer couples therapy?
Couples counseling is available. At least one member of the couple must be a University of South Carolina Upstate student and must schedule the initial appointment.
Return to top...

Can Counseling Services help me find a therapist outside of USC Upstate?
Counseling Services has a list of community referral resources and is happy to provide this information.
Return to top...

Do you offer ADHD testing?
ADHD testing is offered through Counseling Services for USC Upstate students.  Slots are limited and available on a first come basis. An initial prescreening with a counselor is required and if appropriate the individual will be referred for testing.  A minimal cost for testing is required prior to comprehensive testing. Return to top...

Do you offer career counseling or career testing?
Career Counseling may be helpful in providing information to assess your interests, values and skills to enable you to make better decisions concerning academic major or career paths. Career testing is also available when needed.

Career Assessment is also offered through the Career Center, in Library, 225 and can be contacted by calling, 864-503-5392.
Return to top...

What if I have to take medical leave?
If you are out on medical leave whether psychological or physically related, contact the Dean of Students office at 864-503-5107.  This office will notify your instructors that you will be out of class.  This does not guarantee these are excused absences. If you are withdrawing due to medical leave contact the Registrar’s Office at 864-503-5220.
Return to top...

Counseling Services Icon

Office Hours
Spartanburg (main campus)
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Greenville campus
By appointment

Counseling Resources
Mission Statement
Confidentiality Agreement
Meet Our Staff

Educational Workshops
Request a Workshop

Additional Information
Off-Campus Resource Guide


Contact Us 
Frances Jarratt
Director of Counseling Services
(864) 503-5195
fax: (864) 503-5358
Campus Life Center, Suite 224

USC Upstate
Counseling Services
800 University Way
Spartanburg, SC 29303 

Faculty/Staff Directory