Patient Client Rights
USC Upstate Health Services adopts and affirms as departmental policy the following right of patients/clients who receive our services.
This policy affords you, the patient /client, the right to:
- Treatment without discrimination as to race, color religion, sex national origin, age, or disability.
- Care that is considerate and respectful.
- Participation in decisions regarding treatment.
- The name and function of Health Services personnel providing services and the identity of other personnel and institutions assisting in treatment.
- Complete and current information concerning diagnosis, treatment and expected outcomes in terms that can be easily understood.
- Receive information regarding condition/treatment options.
- Refuse treatment and to be informed of any potential consequences.
- Privacy to the extent consistent with care.
- Confidentiality of all records pertaining to treatment, except as otherwise provided by law.
- Continuity of care and to be formed of the possibility of continuing requirements following the end of treatment.
- Refuse to participate in research.
- Examine and receive an itemized statement of all charges.
- Upon request, full disclosure of facility’s rules and regulations.
- A smoke-free environment.
Patients/Clients are expected to:
- Provide accurate information regarding complaints, past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications, and psychological treatment.
- Communicate to nursing personnel if instructions and/or information are not clear or understood.
- Keep appointment.
- Follow treatment plan.
- Clearly state refusal of treatment.
- Follow USC Upstate Health Services rules and regulations.
- Consider the rights of other patient/clients and staff.
- Respect property of other clients and Health Services staff.
- Refrain from smoking while in facility.