What is a Resident Advisor?
The HRL staff includes 24 outstanding USC Upstate student leaders.They are called Resident Advisors (RAs). You will get to know these leaders, as they will be planning a variety of program opportunities, enforcing rules and policies, as well as maintaining safety through evening duty. They are good resource tools for you and your link to HRL.
RAs are undergraduate student leaders that are instrumental in the day-to-day operations of HRL.Their primary tasks are to help students adjust to on-campus living and to become acclimated to USC Upstate. Other RA tasks include, but are not limited to, the following items:
- Protect the primary rights of students
- Create a caring community conducive to student growth and development
- Listen to and make referrals regarding residents’ personal, academic and adjustment issues
- Serve as role models on behalf of HRL and USC Upstate
- Enforce all rules and policies
- Assist residents in times of need
- Keep residents informed of pertinent information regarding HRL
- Ensure that all residents and guests act in a responsible manner
- Provide social, academic, vocational and educational programs and activities to residents
- Mediate conﬂicts between roommates and/or suite mates
Your RA has been trained to be a valuable resource as you live, learn and grow at USC Upstate.They are here to help you, so be sure to take the time to get to know them and take advantage of their wisdom and talents.
Contact the Office of Housing and Residential Life (HRL) for more details at (864) 503-5422.