Clif Flynn, Ph.D.
Dr. Clifton P. Flynn is provost, senior vice chancellor for academic affairs and professor of sociology at the University of South Carolina Upstate. He earned his Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and has been at USC Upstate since 1988. He has also served as chair of the Department of Sociology, Criminal Justice, and Women’s Studies (2008-2013), as well as associate vice chancellor for academic affairs (2013-2015).
Dr. Flynn has published several articles in the areas of human-animal studies, family violence, and corporal punishment of children. Currently, his research examines human-animal interaction, with a focus on animal abuse and its relationship to family violence. In 2008, Dr. Flynn was selected as a Fellow of the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics. He is the editor of Social Creatures, one of the first anthologies in human-animal studies (Lantern Books, 2008). His most recent book is Understanding Animal Abuse: A Sociological Analysis (Lantern Books, 2012).
- Ph.D. in Family Studies, minor in statistics (1988) from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- M.S. in Child Development and Family Relations (1983) from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- B.A. in Psychology (1979) from Davidson College.
- Secretary/Treasurer, Section on Animals and Society, 2006-2009.
- Chair, Nominations Committee, Section on Animals and Society, 2004-2005.
- Chair, Animals & Society section, American Sociological Association, 2003-2004.
- Member, Council, ASA Animals and Society Section, 2001-2003.
- Member, Organizing Committee, ASA Animals and Society Section-in-Formation, 2000-2001.
Honors, Awards, and Recognitions
- Fellow, Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics, Oxford, England, 2008 – present
- Fellow, Institute for Human-Animal Connections, Graduate School of Social Work at the University of Denver, 2010 – present
- USC Upstate nominee, Governor’s Professor of the Year Award, 2009
- Annual Award for Scholarly and Creative Pursuits, USC Upstate, 2009, 2002
- Best New Animals & Society Course, Humane Society of the U.S., 2001
- “Doc’s List” (Award for “exemplary service to students”), USC Upstate, 2001
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2001, 2002, 2004
- Finalist, Excellence in Teaching and Advising Award, USC Upstate, 2000, 1998, 1992
- USC Upstate Nominee, CASE Outstanding Professor Award, 1992
- Omicron Nu, UNC-Greensboro, 1987
- Outstanding Young Men of America, 1987
- Phi Beta Kappa, Davidson College, 1979