Julio Freire is the athletic director and Vice Chancellor for Intercollegiate Sports at USC Upstate. He came to USC Upstate from the University of Pittsburgh. While at the University of Pittsburgh, Freire had oversight for fundraising, ticket sales, marketing, branding, multimedia rights, licensing/merchandising and television broadcasts. He led his team to an increases in all categories.
Freire, who was born in Tijuana, Mexico, has a breadth of experience in athletics and education. He ran cross country and track and field for Arizona State, where he graduated in 1990 with a degree in education. He earned a master’s in counseling from University of Phoenix in 1997.
He spent a decade as a high school educator in Arizona, working jobs as a teacher, counselor, athletic director, coach and principal.
- Master of Counseling, (1997) from the University of Phoenix- Phoenix, Arizona
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Education (1990) from Arizona State University- Tempe, Arizona
- Cardinal Advisors – Executive PREP Program (2015, 2016)
- 1A Athletic Directors’ Association – Fellows Program (2013, 2014)
- 1A Athletic Directors’ Association – Annual Institute (2009, 2012, 2016)
- NCAA – Fellows Leadership Development Program (2007, 2008)
- NACDA- National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (since 2005)
- NAADD- National Association of Athletic Development Directors (since 2005)
- NCAA- Division 1 Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee (2015, 2016)
- Ohio Valley Conference Committees
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Chair (2014, 2015)
- Men’s Basketball Enhancement Fund Committee (2015)
- Ohio University- University Administrative Senate (2002 – 2004)
- Deputy Athletic Director for External Affairs, (2016-2017) University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Director of Athletics, (January 2014 to 2016) University of Tennessee in Martin, Tennessee
- Freire is married to Mrs. Cherie Taylor, a Special Education teacher, and they have two children, Christopher and Gabriella.
Visit the Athletics portion of the University's web site