Meredith N. Brunen, Ed.D.
As Vice Chancellor for University Advancement, Dr. Meredith Brunen serves as the chief philanthropic officer and executive director of the University of South Carolina Upstate Foundation. As a principal adviser and senior member of the Chancellor’s Cabinet, Dr. Brunen works closely with the chancellor, the advancement team, and the USC Upstate Foundation and Alumni boards to support and bolster the mission of the University by securing private philanthropic support, reconnecting and re-engaging alumni, and promoting a healthy image for the University. She provides leadership, strategic planning, counsel and assistance to academic, athletic, and administrative units to set strategic direction related to the execution of all fundraising, alumni relations, and communication activities.
Dr. Brunen formerly served as interim vice president for university advancement and associate vice president for university advancement at the University of West Florida in Pensacola, Florida, where she provided executive leadership to advance the mission of the university through marketing and communications, alumni relations, development, community engagement, the UWF Historic Trust and WUWF Public Media.
Dr. Brunen also held the role of executive director of development for Northwest Arkansas Community College (NWACC) in Bentonville, Arkansas, where she served as chief executive officer of the NWACC Foundation and led the institutional development team in all facets of philanthropic giving to the College, including annual, major and planned giving as well as special events, alumni relations and scholarships.
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D), Higher Education/Higher Education Administration (2008-2012) from the University of Arkansas - Fayetteville, Arkansas
- Master of Education (M.Ed.), Higher Education/Higher Education Administration (2003-2005) from the University of Arkansas
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Middle East Studies/International Relations with French minor (1999-2003) from the University of Arkansas
- Association of Fundraising Professionals
- American Association of University Women
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education
- Estate Planning Council of Spartanburg
- “Outstanding Young Alumni Award” – University of Arkansas College of Education and Health Professions, 2019
- “Young Woman of the Year Award" – Northwest Arkansas Business Women's Conference, 2014
- “Gold Paragon Award” for NorthWest Arkansas Community College – National Council for Marketing & Public Relations, 2013
- “Forty Under 40" – Northwest Arkansas Business Journal, 2012
- “Style Profile” – CitiScapes Metro Monthly, November 2011
- “Celebrity Dancer” – Dancing with the Stars of Northwest Arkansas, 2011
- “Outstanding Scholar” – Council for Resource Development National Conference, November 2009
- “Chamberlain Scholar” – Association of Fundraising Professionals International Conference, March 2007
- “Community College Fundraising and Finance.” Dr. Michael T. Miller’s Finance and Financial Management Course at the University of Arkansas – April 16, 2014
- “Fundraising 101.” Fundraising Presentation for the Northwest Arkansas Mercy Family YMCA Board of Managers Retreat – Bella Vista, Arkansas, Jan. 15, 2013
- “Raising the Bar: The Modern Community Presidency.” Association for the Study of Higher Education Annual Conference – Las Vegas, Nevada, Nov. 16, 2012
- “An Overview – Raising the Bar: The Modern Community College Presidency.” The Dispatch, Council for Resource Development – Fall 2012
- “Raising the Bar: The Modern Community College Presidency.” Doctoral Dissertation – May 2012
- “Engaging the Campus Community in Resource Development: Five Strategies.” The Dispatch, Council for Resource Development – Winter 2010
- “Are We There Yet? Keeping the Magical Momentum in Your Capital Campaign.” Co-Presenter at Council for Resource Development Regional Conference – Orlando, Florida, May 21-23, 2008
- “A Comparative Study of the Role of Women in Public Life in Three Muslim Countries: Morocco, Egypt, and Malaysia.” Honors Thesis – May 2003
- Dr. Brunen is married to Mr. Kyle Brunen, a health and wellness professional, and they have two young sons, Jude and Beau.