Academic Outreach Camp
Due to ongoing impacts of COVID-19, USC Upstate has cancelled the 2020 Academic Outreach Camp.
Have you ever wondered how mathematics and science are actually used to improve the processes to build things like BMW vehicles? Did you know these improvement tools and processes are also used by other industries and organizations such as health care, finance, and the Armed Forces.
The Academic Outreach Camp will introduce students to exciting and real world applications of mathematics and statistics. In addition, the students' teamwork and leadership skills will be honed and improved.
Students will gain hands-on experience in learning and applying Lean and Six Sigma tools to computerized challenges, physical simulations, case studies and teaching games.
Students will also have the opportunity to meet with manufacturing professionals using these tools and skills as part of their careers. Students will also participate in an in-depth tour of BMW and USC Upstate's Healthcare Simulation Center. They will even get a chance to improve their driving skills behind the wheel of a BMW vehicle.
|Date:||June 15-19 and 22-26, 2020 (campers must attend both weeks)
|Time:||8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Location:||George Dean Johnson, Jr. College of Business and Economics
160 E. Saint John St., Spartanburg, SC / USC Upstate - Main Campus / BMW
|Cost:||There is no cost to attend; however, the selection process is competitive.
Lunch and snacks will be provided.
How to Apply
|Applications are currently closed for 2020.|
- Process improvement tools taught by BMW engineers and USC Upstate faculty
- Multiple process simulation exercises
- Extensive tour of the BMW Manufacturing Facility
- Safe driving school at the BMW Performance Center
- Tour of the USC Upstate Campus
- Activities in Healthcare Simulation Center
- Understanding of the process improvement concepts used by world class companies
- Exposure to Lean manufacturing tools such as 5S, Value Steam Mapping and Process Flow
- Training in Six Sigma concepts such as DMAIC, Process Capability, ANOVA, SPC and DOE
- Insight into careers from manufacturing and healthcare professionals
- Appreciation of the technology and complexity in modern manufacturing
- Improved driving skills while driving a BMW at the Performance Center
- Demonstrated ability in math and science
- Interested in a career in manufacturing, engineering or healthcare
- Rising high school senior in Greenville, Spartanburg, Cherokee, Union or Laurens counties
- Letter of recommendation from a high school guidance counselor or teacher
- Valid SC driver's license or permit
- Students must be covered by health insurance
- Must have transportation to each camp site
- Must attend both weeks