World War i
Beginning on Sept. 23, 2014, USC Upstate embarked on a five-year commemoration and reflection of the centennial of World War I. The program will culminate with the anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919.
Although the United States did not enter World War I until 1917, the impact on the Upstate began long before then. Events are being planned throughout the next five years that will highlight the causes, myths, realities and impact of the war both in the Upstate and internationally including films, displays, book clubs, presentations, symposia and trips to Word War I sites abroad.
Some general topics explored include its history and impact on the military, medicine, education, women’s rights, imperial geopolitical shifting landscapes, art, music, literature both in the Upstate and internationally and African American culture.
WWI: Revolution Film and Literature
"WWI Panel with Dr. Rob McCormick and Jav Rivera on 1917 Russian Revolution Film"
In October 1917, Vladimir Lenin’s Bolshevik Revolution overthrew the Russian government, placed Russia on the path to forming the first communist state in history, and set the stage for many of the key events and trends of the twentieth century. Dr. Rob McCormick discusses the October Revolution, its significance during and after the war, as well as the representation of the revolution in Sergei Eisenstein’s 1928 film, October: Ten Days that Shook the World. Jav Rivera, a film production specialist with experience in Hollywood, will discuss the making of the film and its special effects.
- Date: Thursday, Oct. 12, 2017 at 6 p.m. in the Health Education Complex Room 2039
"Writing short fiction on WWI with author Dr. Tom McConnell, A Picture Book of Hell"
Dr. Tom McConnell discusses his 2005 book, A Picture Book of Hell and Other Landscapes. “The volume’s title novella discloses a veteran of the First World War struggling to reconcile the two worlds he’s come to know too well, neither of which seems to fit his frame.”
- Date: Thursday, Nov. 9, 2017 at 6 p.m. in the Health Education Complex Room 2039
USC Upstate Five-Year Commemoration of the centennial of World War I Committee:
- Dr. Catherine Canino (Professor of English, director of honors program)
- Dr. Araceli Hernandez-Laroche (Associate Professor of Modern Languages-French, Assistant Chair for World Languages)
- Dr. Frieda Patrick Davision (Dean of Library)
- Dr. Rob McCormick (Professor of History, associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences)
- Dr. Dirk Schlingmann (Professor of Mathematics, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences)
- Dr. Alex Akulli (Director of the Center of International Studies)