Creative Writing Minor
A Minor in Creative Writing offers students an opportunity to explore the artistic side of English studies. Creative writing courses foster students' abilities as writers in a variety of genres including creative nonfiction, fiction and poetry, as well as special topics in particular genres like gothic, science fiction/fantasy or screenwriting.
Courses Required for the Minor**
- ENGL 208: Introduction to Creative Writing or ENGL 308: Intermediate Workshop in Creative Writing (3 credits)
- Two courses chosen from the following (6 credits total):
- ENGL 308: Intermediate Workshop in Creative Writing (if not taken above)
- ENGL 364: Fiction Workshop
- ENGL 366: Poetry Workshop
- ENGL 368: Life Writing Workshop
- ENGL 370: Creative Nonfiction Workshop
- ENGL 397: Topics in Writing
- THEA 378: Playwriting
- WGST 369: Gender and Autobiography
- Two additional English classes numbered 300 or above (6 credits total). Courses from the above list are recommended, but students may select any upper-level English courses.
- ENGL 468: Advanced Creative Writing (3 credits).
Total Hours Required 18
**Please note, a minimum grade of C is required for all coursework, and a course taken in the major cannot also be counted toward the minor.