Effective Fall 2019 pending SACS COC approval
The Master’s of Science in Business Analytics program is designed to meet the growing need for professionals who understand the business environment and who can efficiently extract business insights and value from the large amounts of data that modern organizations collect, both structured as well as unstructured data. It is a cohort-based, one-year degree. The MSBA degree will require 10 courses (30 credit hours). The program culminates with a practicum where local companies will present students with real-world projects that require the analysis of large and complex data sets to solve actual business problems.
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Understand how analytics can improve managerial decision making at all levels of an organization.
- Understand the three areas of data analytics: descriptive (data mining and data visualization), prescriptive (optimization and simulation), and predictive (forecasting and regression analysis).
- Gain practical experience using the popular analytics software tools and languages used in industry such as SAS Enterprise Miner, Tableau, R, Python, SQL and other technologies.
- Design creative data analytics solutions to complex business problems and effectively communicate the analysis and findings to management.
Additionally, coursework will prepare students to attain professional certifications. Students will be prepared for the SAS Professional-level credential exams. Students with accounting backgrounds will be prepared for sitting for the CPA exam.
A Bachelor degree or higher in Business or a related field with foundation courses in business, mathematics, statistics taken prior to enrollment and a GPA of 3.00 or higher.
Application, application fee, residency form with all requested information and supporting documents
Official transcripts showing all post-secondary coursework attempted
Two recommendation letters. Letters should be from professionals knowledgeable about the student academic or professional potential.
Current CV or resume
Personal statement. Applicants are required to submit a one page personal; statement that describes their goals and how this degree will be utilized to help attain those goals.
Official Graduate Management Admission Test ( GMAT) or Graduate Record Exam ( GRE).
A GMAT or GRE waiver is available for the following applicants:
- USC Upstate graduates with a 3.0 or higher
- Non USC Upstate graduates from AACSB-accredited institutions with a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Master’s degree (or higher) holders with two or more years of work experience in a related field
- International applicants must submit an official TOEFL (or equivalent) score
Note: Applicants who have earned a GPA or 2.5 or higher (but less than 3) and a high GMAT/GRE score will be considered for conditional admission.
CAREERS IN BUSINESS ANALYTICS
Business Analytics graduates have a wide range of employment positions to choose from depending on their chosen career paths. Career opportunities can be found in business, government, for-profit and non-for-profit organizations, and the services or manufacturing sectors. Some of the Industries, where Business Analytics is in high demand are:
- Health Care Clinical research / Pharma companies
- Finance / Banking /Investment sector
- Human resource management / Talent acquisition
- Retail / E-commerce
- Logistics / Supply Chain
- Accounting / Auditing
Positions and career opportunities for business analytics professionals include:
- Quantitative Analyst/Modeler
- Business Intelligence Manager
- Big Data Analytics Specialist
- Operations Research Analyst
- Manager of Services or Manufacturing Operations
- Data Analyst
- Project Manager
- Supply Chain Manager
- Market Research Analyst
The demand for analytics professionals is expected to grow for the next decade, with the gap between the demand for analytics professionals and the supply estimated to be more than 100,000 per year.
The median salary for a business analytics manager with a master’s degree is $113,450 - $121,084.
• Intro to Quantitative Analysis & Programming (MSBA700)
• Optimization (MSBA730)
• Data Mining & Management (MSBA705)
• Predictive Analytics & Forecasting (MSBA710)
• Analytical Decision Making (MSBA740)
• Data Visualization (MSBA720)
• Analytics Capstone (MSBA790)
Note: Part-time students can take 2 courses a semester and complete the program in 2 years.