A Minor in Creative Writing offers students an opportunity to explore the artistic side of English studies. Creative writing courses foster students' abilities as writers in a variety of genres including creative nonfiction, fiction and poetry, as well as special topics in particular genres like gothic, science fiction/fantasy or screenwriting.
Students in the minor enjoy opportunities to
- Workshop your writing in small classes with a 12:1 student-faculty ratio
- Work with award-winning authors on novels, short fiction, genre fiction, creative non-fiction, and memoirs
- Intern with Writers Inc., USC Upstate's literary magazine and multiple-time winner of the outstanding student organization award
Courses Required for the Minor**
- ENGL U208: Introduction to Creative Writing or ENGL U308: Intermediate Workshop in Creative Writing (3 credits)
- Two courses chosen from the following (6 credits total):
- ENGL U308: Intermediate Workshop in Creative Writing (if not taken above)
- ENGL U364: Fiction Workshop
- ENGL U366: Poetry Workshop
- ENGL U368: Life Writing Workshop
- ENGL U370: Creative Nonfiction Workshop
- ENGL U397: Topics in Writing
- THEA U378: Playwriting
- WGST U369: Gender and Autobiography
- Two additional English classes numbered 300 or above (6 credits total). Courses from the above list are recommended, but students may select any upper-level English courses. Topics in Professional Writing (ENGL U345), Technical Writing (ENGL U346), and Grantwriting (ENGL U371) are especially helpful to complement creative writing with professional writing skills.
- ENGL U468: Advanced Creative Writing (3 credits).
Total Hours Required 18
- The Wooden King, by Professor Thomas McConnell, forthcoming from Hub City Press, 2018. Mcconnell was a Finalist for the 2016 SC First Novel Prize and winner of the 2017 Porter Fleming Prize for Non-fiction.
- Ember, by Senior Instructor Brock Adams, Hub City Press, 2017. Winner of the 2016 SC First Novel Prize.
- Gulf, by Brock Adams, Pocol Press, 2010.
- A Picture Book of Hell and Other Landscapes, by Thomas McConnell, Texas Tech University Press, 2005.
- Baby Doll, by Associate Professor Marilyn Knight Reynolds, Zebra Press, 1988.
- Erika Pertell, finalist for the 2016 SC First Novel Prize, winner of the Hub City/Emrys Creative Writing Prize in Fiction
- Wilson Casey, "The Trivia Guy," syndicated columnist, author of more than a dozen books, radio personality, and Guiness Book of World Record Holder
- Tanya Newman, author of The Good Thief and Winter Rain, as well as short stories published in TWJ Magazine and Gadfly Online
- Kristian Wilson, freelance writer and editor, books feature writer for Bustle and other online magazines
- Theodore Kountourogiannis, freelance writer and editor, with publications in SEV Network, HiddenYou, Blasting News, and more