Criminal Justice – Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
For many who work in fields associated with criminal justice, it’s a calling. It’s about protecting and serving members of their community and working for the greater good. It’s exactly this notion of service that forms the heart of the Criminal Justice program at Upstate.
Where A Liberal Arts Foundation Intersects With Practical, Real-World Teaching and Learning
As a student in the Criminal Justice program, you’ll enjoy a well-rounded experience that will empower you with critical thinking, communication, writing, and analytical skills along with comprehensive knowledge and hands-on training in the core principles related to crime and criminal justice.
Our approach develops criminal justice graduates who are prepared to serve with a much broader and deeper conceptual understanding of how to carry out their duties in law enforcement, corrections, legal settings, academia, and other professions effectively and ethically.
For more information, visit the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
The Criminal Justice Program is designed to provide present and future criminal justice professionals with the educational background necessary to be successful in a criminal justice career, graduate school, or law school. Criminal justice majors at USC Upstate complete a course of study that includes general education, as well as the study of crime, offenders, courts, policing, corrections, and victims. The program comprises both theory and application.
Throughout the Upstate region, across South Carolina and beyond, graduates of the Criminal Justice program help bring safety and peace-of-mind to fellow citizens in a number of roles, including:
- Federal, state, or local law enforcement
- Probation/parole agencies
- Federal and state prisons and jails
- Juvenile justice agencies
- Victim assistance programs
- Private investigation firms
- Solicitors’ offices
- Public defenders’ offices
The Criminal Justice program places a heightened emphasis on real-world training opportunities, much of which comes from valuable internships in settings such as:
- SC Probation, Pardon, and Parole
- SC Department of Juvenile Justice
- Spartanburg County Sheriff's Department
- Greenville County Sheriff's Office
- Seventh Solicitor's Office
- SAFE Homes-Rape Crisis Coalition
- Spartanburg County Detention Center
- Spartanburg Public Safety Department
- Carolina Investigations, Inc.
- Greer Police Department