The USC Upstate Sociology program provides students with the ability to understand human behavior in the context of social, historical, and cultural influences - that is, to use the sociological perspective.
The power of sociology is in its ability to disclose a fascinating new perspective on social reality, providing the knowledge and analytical skills necessary to enter a wide variety of public service, nonprofit, research, and many other professional careers.
For more information, visit the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
Academically, the rigorous, well-rounded curriculum prepares our majors for graduate programs in sociology, as well as in areas such as social work and law school. The program promotes a global perspective and an understanding of diversity, developing majors who can think critically and analytically, and who are familiar with the historical developments and current institutional patterns, as well as other forms of human relations which constitute the structure of society. Sociology provides the knowledge and analytical skills necessary to enter a variety of careers.
Sociology majors find employment in government, nonprofit organizations, social work, market research, management and many other professions.
There are several local agencies or nonprofits that afford our students internship opportunities. These include:
- American Red Cross
- Boys & Girls Club of the Upstate
- Department of Social Services
- City of Spartanburg Department of Community Services
- Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System
- Anderson Youth Association
- Mental Health Associations of Greenville
- Piedmont Care, Inc. – Spartanburg
- SAFE-Homer Rape Crisis Coalition
- SC Department of Juvenile Justice
- The Urban League of the Upstate