New Students - MSN
Welcome to the Mary Black School of Nursing!
If you have been accepted to the MSN program for an upcoming term, then this is where you will find all of the details that you need to get prepared for your enrollment.
- You are Accepted: You have been accepted to the program pending any remaining final transcripts, your completed Criminal Background Check and your unencumbered nursing license.
- Claim Your VIP ID: This will allow you to log into the Self Service Carolina. Detailed instructions can be found in your Welcome Packet or on our website, My USC Upstate
- Submit citizenship verification:
- SC Residents Only: Complete residency information at: My SC.EDU
- Get Connected: Visit the Division of Information Technology (IT). This resource will help with setting up your email, Self Service Carolina, and The Blackboard Learning System (where all classes will be administered).
- Academic Advisor: All graduate students will be advised by Dr. Toshua Kennedy, MSN Program Director,
- Enrolling in Courses: Once you have access to the system and have received the plan of study from Dr. Kennedy, you are ready to enroll in your courses for the upcoming semester. How to Enroll in Classes in Self-Service Carolina
- Order Textbooks: The listing of books/ISBN numbers is available through our University Bookstore website. USC Upstate Bookstore You may purchase or rent textbooks through any vendor such as Amazon
- Attend MSN Virtual Orientation: While not mandatory, it is highly recommended. Below is the virtual orientation for students who started the program Fall 2020. Fall 2020 MSN Students
- Nursing Boot Camp: Two weeks before classes begin, check your Blackboard for the Nursing “BOOT CAMP” that Dr. Kennedy posts for you. This includes an Online Orientation designed to get you acclimated to the online learning environment. The Boot Camp is also a great opportunity to practice writing and to consider key concepts that apply to the MSN program. This Boot Camp provides you with resources for your academic success and how to navigate Blackboard. The Boot Camp is not mandatory, but it is highly recommended.
- Refer to the USC Upstate financial aid information on the website for details about applying for or transferring financial aid to USC Upstate. Our federal school code is 006951. Use this code to submit your FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov
- You may setup a payment plan with 25% down through my.sc.edu Many of you prefer to make payments each semester instead of paying tuition in-full. If your financial aid is not yet in place, paying 25% down will allow you time to get that step in order.
- Once you register, write down or take a screen shot of your classes—if for any reason they are dropped or disappear, you simply need to reregister for those same classes/sections.
- All the links that you will ever need for your time at USC Upstate can be found at: USC Upstate Current Students
- Keep your eyes open for reminders and updates throughout the Academic Year in: Blackboard Announcements
- Great tips and information for online students can be found at: USC Upstate Student Resources
- The best internet browser for your USC Upstate apps is Google Chrome.
- Check your Upstate email DAILY.
- Students should consult the current Academic Calendar for all important dates.
- Most courses last 7 weeks and classes begin two times in the fall and spring. See plan of study emailed by Dr. Kennedy.
Lonzena “Zena” Robinson
Nurse Robinson graduated with a BSN degree from USC Upstate in 2008 and is a current graduate student at Upstate in the Master of Science in Nursing Education program. Robinson and two of her best friends developed the Forever Friends Scholarship to award financial assistance to nursing and business students at USC Upstate.
Alicia Jamison who attended the CNL conference with her current CNL Preceptor and graduate from Upstate’s Master of Science in Nursing CNL Program, Sharlene Parmley