New Students - Traditional BSN
Welcome to the Mary Black School of Nursing!
If you have been tentatively accepted to the traditional 4-yr BSN program for an upcoming term or are on the waiting list, then this is where you will find all of the details that you need to get prepared for your first steps in becoming a nurse through our program.
Your Next Steps
- Tentatively Accepted - You have been accepted to the program pending your remaining grades and provided you complete all requirements by the due date(s). You must maintain the program's required GPA and TEAS scores.
- Waiting List - Your acceptance has not been established at this time. To remain eligible, you must also complete all requirements and earn or maintain required GPA and TEAS scores as you complete your courses.
- The waiting list only applies to this semester. If you do not earn a seat, you must reapply for future semesters.
- You should meet with your advisor to determine a Plan B in case you do not earn a seat.
- You will be notified immediately if there is an available seat.
- Transfer students
- Must have a university ID made. ID's are processed by the Department of Public Safety.
- Complete the Transfer Student Checklist - especially university required immunizations (separate from Nursing) and citizenship verification.
- Get connected to your accounts and services through the Division of Information Technology (IT). This includes setting up your email, Self Service Carolina, and BlackBoard.
- Learn about parking on campus.
- All Students
- If you are completing prerequisite courses, you must earn a C or better and you must meet admission requirements at the end of the term.
- Once you have completed all requirements, you will not receive a new letter stating that you are fully accepted. It is understood.
- If you are taking classes at another school - except at a USC campus - you must send official transcripts immediately once the grades are posted.
The live Virtual Nursing Orientation is scheduled for August 19th at 1pm. This year the MBSON will send you an orientation video. The link to that video will be included here when it is complete approximately one week prior to our live orientation date. We will also email a link to you. We ask that you watch the orientation video and then attend our live Virtual Welcome and Q&A session as scheduled on August 19th. The link will also appear here and will be emailed to you.
- Current students will meet with their assigned advisor. You will be assigned a faculty advisor for all future advisement sessions.
- Priority Enrollment for current students begins November 2, 2020.
- Check your Student Profile in SSC to see your assigned time to begin enrolling. It is called your Registration Ticket Time.
- Transfer students will meet with the Director of Nursing Student Services, Terri Whitaker, for your first NURS courses. You will be assigned a faculty advisor for all future advisement sessions.
- Open Enrollment for transferring students begins November 23, 2020.
- Students should consult the current Academic Calendar for all important dates.
- You will not be able to enroll in classes until all requirements are met through CastleBranch - regardless of your ticket time.
- Your CastleBranch account will be checked regularly. Your Advisement hold will be released once the requirements are all marked "Complete."
- Nursing courses are set up in "tracks." You must select a track and register for only the sections that correspond to the track you choose. Updated tracks are located in BlackBoard each term.
- Schedules can change without notice through the first week of classes. Please do not finalize your work or childcare plans until after this week.
- You must have your own transportation to and from clinicals.
- Although unlikely, clinicals can be up to 75 miles away.
- Full-time, first-semester courses:
- NURS U306 Intro to Professional Nursing (3 credits)
- NURS U310 Health Assessment (3 credits)
- NURS U320 Foundations of Nursing (6 credits)
- NURS U320P Foundations of Nursing Practicum (0 credits) *You do not enroll in this class yet. A section will be assigned to you at a later date.
- NURS U375 Pharmacology (3 credits)
- Part-time, first-semester courses:
- NURS U306 Intro to Professional Nursing (3 credits)
- NURS U310 Health Assessment (3 credits)
**You must take care of all Registration Holds such as Citizenship Verification, University Immunizations, Change of Campus, Term of Admission, account balances, parking tickets, library fines, etc.**
- Books– around $500-600 the first semester for the required books. The optional/recommended book selections are not included in this amount.
- Uniforms ~ $200
- CastleBranch Compliance Tracker, Drug Screen, and Background Check - $109
- ATI User Guide Access Code ~ $350
- You will purchase this later. Information will be emailed to you.
- Stethoscope (any color), penlight, bandage scissors, black pen, watch with a sweeping second hand ~ $75
- Please read the Student Handbook carefully for details about the dress code, curriculum, program policies, and much more.
This is your first assignment in a professional major. It is expected that YOU will complete this assignment. School of Nursing staff and faculty cannot speak with family members or friends about your requirements. If you have questions, you should be the one to ask.
- The following requirements must be completed in CastleBranch in order to enroll in classes:
- TB test
- Various documents requiring your signature
- Criminal Record Background Check
- Drug Screening
- Other requirements will include, but are not limited to,
- Must be American Heart Association BLS for Health Professionals
- Can be completed in any approved training location in a classroom or blended with both an online portion and an in-person skills session (HeartCode).
- Upstate offerings will be posted and updated on this page.
- Completion ceritficate will be accepted by CasteBranch temporarily in lieu of an eCard. Once the eCard is available it must be submitted to CastleBranch.
- Health Insurance
- This cannot be Family Planning or a Discount Program.
- There is no requirement regarding the amount of insurance that must be carried. You have keep a high deductible to have a low montly premium.
- Options include School Insurance or a personal plan.
- A possible contact for help with a personal plan:
- Riffenburg Insurance
- 155 Hall Street, Spartanburg, SC 29302
- Office: 864-585-8649
- Mobile: 864-706-3936
- Spartanburg Regional Hospital System, Student Orientation Manual
- Spartanburg Regional CareLearning Training
- Prisma Learning Hub Competion Certificate
- You will complete the training, export the transcript to PDF and upload to CastleBranch.
- This is a one-time requirement.
- Information for completing this training will be sent to you once the academic semester begins.
- Annual Requirements
- Academic Regulations form
- TB testing
- Flu shot
- CareLearning for Spartanburg Regional
- CPR (every 2 years)
Most immunizations and tests are available at USC Upstate's Health Services. Click here for a schedule of fees. A list of Spartanburg area low-cost health resources is also available on the Health Services site.
The MBSON uses CastleBranch to collect clinical requirements. Once you create an account, you will have a compliance tracker that will list all requirements, instructions, and a due date for each one.
How to Place an Order through CastleBranch
- Navigate to the CastleBranch Portal.
- Click "Place Order"
- Click the "+" symbol to open the selection menu
- Click the "+" symbol next to Nursing(BSN)
- Click the UZ64:Background Check - Compliance Tracker - Drug Test
- If you already purchased last term, you will only need to repurchase the Background Check and Drug Test separately. You can do that from your current account. You would just search for the UZ64bg and UZ64dt. Your Compliance Tracker will be updated for the new term.
- Background Check - Once you have created your account and paid, your background check will begin. There is nothing else you need to do. Drug Screening - By creating this account you have paid for the drug screening. You would need to print the receipt and take it to the most convenient LabCorp for the drug test. It is recommended that you call for an appointment first. If you do not take your printed receipt, LabCorp will charge you again for the drug screening AND you will still have to complete the correct one with the CastleBranch information so that LabCorp knows where to send the results.
- If your test is non-negative you will be contacted by a Medical Review Officer from CastleBranch.
- Compliance Tracker
- Your compliance tracker will look like a To-Do list.
- Each requirement will have specific details for what is required and what you must upload for verification.
- Some documents will only require that you click a button stating that you have read, understand, and accept the conditions of the form. Others will require that you download the form, fill it out and sign it, and then upload the form again to CastleBranch.
- If you have an immunization document that shows several immunizations, you will need to upload that same document for EACH requirement.
- During busy times, CastleBranch can take up to three weeks to verify a requirement and mark it as "Complete."
- If your document is REJECTED, CastleBranch gives details of why it was rejected so that you can correct the issue.
- It is recommended that you use a computer rather than a phone or other device.
- Required Immunizations/Tests
- MMR - Measles (Rubeola), Mumps, Rubella
- Hepatitis B
- Tuberculosis Test (TB, TST, PPD)
- Tdap - Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis
- Flu - Always due annually on by Sept. 30th.
- Physical Examination
CastleBranch Help Desk: 888-723-4263, or email at email@example.com
MBSON students are required to wear two forms of identification when in uniform for a clinical course. You will wear your university ID with your photograph and you will order a name tag with your legal name from one of the companies below. Nicknames are not allowed.
Spartanburg Regional Hospital System: CareLearning Training
Click here to create an account.
On your first visit to the CareLearning website you will need to:
- Type in your email address, then click Continue. You MUST use your USC Upstate email address.
- The cost of the program is $10 per year. This is an annual requirement. To be considered compliant, you must complete the courses each year no more than 365 days apart. These modules cannot expire in the middle of a semester.
- Your "classroom" will automatically be populated with 13 modules. You must use the Search function to add the Spartanburg Regional Hospital module for a total of 14 modules.
- Use your name as it appears in Self Service Carolina (SSC).
- Use our USC Upstate email address and mark USC Upstate as your university so that you account compliance can be traced by program administrators.
- Complete and upload a copy of the transcript with 14 modules to CastleBranch by the due date indicated in your CastleBranch account.
- Should you experience difficulty, please call 866-617-3904 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The IT department for CareLearning is available Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.
Note: if you are using Internet Explorer 11*, you must add our LMS to the Compatibility View Settings on your PC in order for courses to mark complete (green check mark). This is not necessary with other web browsers.
- Go to the menu bar, click Tools, and click Compatibility View Settings. (If the menu bar isn't visible, press the Alt key on your keyboard to reveal it.)
- Type carelearning.com in the Add this website field, and click Add.
- Click Close to save the change.
Example of Transcript
Spring 2021 Due Dates
August 1 September 14 September 30 October 1 Immunizations Prisma LearningHub Flu Shot CPR CastleBranch Documents TB Test Criminal Background Check Drug Screening SRHS Student Orientation SRHS CareLearning
- Clinical Requirements and Clinical Placement Questions
- Adrian Smith, Clinical Placement Coordinator
- (864) 503-7318
- General Nursing Questions
- Terri Whitaker, Director of Nursing Student Services
- (864) 503-5486
- Financial Aid Department
- (864) 503-5340
- Registrar's Office
- (864) 503-5220
- Admission's Office
- (864) 503-5246
- Help Desk
- (864) 503-5257