Admission into the upper division, or final two years of study, in the nursing program is competitive. All applications are carefully reviewed by the School of Nursing. Minimum admission qualifications are listed below. It is recommended that you consult the University academic catalog and the USC Upstate Nursing web page for more details.
- Applicants must be admitted to the University of South Carolina Upstate.
- Completion of all pre-requisite courses (lower-division, general education studies) with a grade of “C” or better is required.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is required and must be maintained through the completion of all prerequisite classes.
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 on at least two required natural science courses is mandatory, three is preferred. These two courses must be successfullycompleted by the end of the term in which the application opens. Students are allowed two attempts at each science course. A withdrawal or audit does count as an attempt. All sciences courses have a 5-year age limit. The 2.5 GPA must be maintained through the completion of all prerequisite classes.
- Only one nursing course or required science course may be repeated to earn a grade of “C” or better. If courses are repeated, both grades will be included in the calculation of the GPA. A student with two failures in nursing and/or science courses is ineligible for the program.
- The successful completion of a pre-admissions exam is required.
- A clear criminal record background check and drug screening is required.
- Clinical requirements, as mandated by our clinical settings, must be completed on time. This packet is distributed to accepted students only.
There are several requirements that must be completed before your application will be considered "In Progress." Please read all instructions thoroughly. All deadlines are strictly upheld.
- Submit an online application form to the Mary Black School of Nursing (MBSON). A link to the online application can be found at the bottom of this page after all instructions. **USC Upstate cannot be responsible for technical issues. If you have reason to believe that your application did not submit correctly, you must contact the SON at 864-503-5441.
- All transfer/readmit students must also submit a separate application to the university.
- Applications to apply to USC Upstate can be found on the apply page.
- Any student who is not enrolled in classes the semester prior to the term for which you are applying to the nursing program must submit a transfer or readmit application to USC Upstate.
- The MBSON cannot accept students to our program who have not also been accepted by the university.
- Students will need to be fully accepted to USC Upstate for the correct term (the term in which you intend to enroll in classes) by Jan. 31 for a fall application or Aug. 31 for a spring application.
- If you are a transfer student, all transcripts should be sent directly to the USC Upstate Admissions department.
- If you are a USC student and all classes taken at other schools are showing in your record in the Self-Service student portal, you do not need to send additional transcripts. If you have not sent the transcripts, they should be sent to the Registrar's office.
- If applicable, send official test results, such as AP, IB, CLEP or DANTES to USC Upstate. You will not receive credit hours for these test results without official scores sent just like a transcript.
- Complete the pre-admissions exam and, if taken somewhere other than USC Upstate, send official scores.
Students are required to take the ATI TEAS assessment published by Assessment Technologies Institute, LLC (ATI). The ATI TEAS assesses the students' skills in the areas of reading, math, science and English and language usage. Research has shown that there is a direct correlation between ATI TEAS scores and a student's preparedness for early academic success in a nursing program. You can register to take the TEAS exam at the ATI web site. If you have taken the TEAS V within the last year, we will also accept that score. However, students who have not taken the TEAS must take the ATI TEAS (the sixth edition of the test).
Your TEAS assessment must meet the following requirements:
- Scores from tests taken within the last two years will be accepted. If your scores are over two years old you must take the ATI TEAS exam.
- There is no required score that you must make to be eligible, only a recommended score. Students should test at the "Proficient" level or higher to be considered competitive.
- If you take the TEAS test at another institution, you must request an official transcript through ATI to be submitted to USC Upstate. It can be purchased through their online store only.
- You can register to take the TEAS exam at the ATI web site. Our school is listed as U of SC Upstate. Some schools register students for the TEAS test themselves. If you do not see a testing location or a date that works for you on the ATI website, other testing sites could include technical colleges, such as Greenville Technical College's Testing Center. If they were not listed on the ATI website you would need to contact them directly to see if they offer the ATI TEAS exam and for their instructions to register. You can also contact a PSI testing location at 1-800-733-9267. Testing fees will vary at each location. Study guides are available at the ATI Online Store, at the USC Upstate bookstore, and other large bookstores.
- TEAS Test Regulations
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early to check in. No one will be admitted after the test has started.
- Schedule about four hours to take the test, but you may leave early if you finish.
- Calculators are not allowed. There is one embedded in the test.
- You may bring two sharpened #2 pencils for scratch work. No mechanical pencils please.
- No bags, purses, hats, coats, jackets or other like items are allowed at your seat. These items must be left at the front of the room. Cell phones and all other electronic devices must be turned off and left at the front of the room. Students seeking exceptions to this policy for religious reasons must contact the School of Nursing prior to registering for the exam at Upstate.
- No drinks or food in the test room.
- Registration fees are NOT refundable.
- Be sure to bring a valid photo ID to the test. No picture ID, no test. No exceptions.
- Be sure to also bring your ATI account username and password to be able to login to the test.
- Study guides are available through the ATI web site as well as bookstores, including the USC Upstate bookstore.
- Testing Location: USC Upstate - Testing Center, Media building, Room 218. 375 Hodge Drive, Spartanburg, SC, 29303. Please see a campus map for parking information.
- It is recommended that you register early as seats are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Current Testing dates are as follows:
October November December January 17 - Tuesday 01 - Wednesday 05 - Tuesday 10 - Wednesday 18 - Wednesday 07 - Tuesday 06 - Wednesday 16 - Tuesday 24 - Tuesday 08 - Wednesday 19 - Tuesday 17 - Wednesday 25 - Wednesday 14 - Tuesday 23 - Tuesday 31 - Tuesday 21 - Tuesday 24 - Wednesday 28 - Tuesday 30 - Tuesday 30 - Wednesday 31 - Wednesday
- Please note that all dates may not be posted on ATI's website yet. You may have to wait to register if you do not see the date you prefer on their website yet. All tests will begin at 1 pm.
- Current Testing dates are as follows:
- You may complete the nursing application prior to taking the TEAS test, but your application will be considered incomplete until scores have been received. TEAS test scores are due by the end of the day on Jan. 31, 2018.
- Check out free Facebook Live events from ATI that will help you prepare for the TEAS. Upcoming dates are HERE.
To comply with clinical agency contracts, each accepted student must complete a packet of annual requirements. Students who are accepted to the program will receive this detailed packet. An Information Session will be held to answer all questions regarding these requirements. Completion of this packet is not part of the application process. The packet may include:
- Immunizations/Titers - Go HERE for more information.
- Physical Examination
- Waiver forms for clinical sites
- Proof of health insurance as required by our clinical agencies.
- CPR - must be Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare providers by the America Heart Association only.
- A Criminal Record Background Check
Complete the MBSON Application - We are accepting applictions for Fall 2018 only.
Note:The MBSON cannot be held responsible for technical problems. If you are having trouble with the application, try a different browser (Google Chrome and Firefox are the preferred browsers). If you are unsure if your application was submitted correctly, you should call the School of Nursing at 864-503-5441 or email.
- Phone Numbers
- Admissions Office: 864-503-5246
- Financial Aid Office: 864-503-5340
- Mary Black School of Nursing: 864-503-5441