The study of world languages, literatures, and cultures lies at the very center of the humanities. World language majors not only acquire skills in reading, writing and speaking many languages, but they also explore and develop an appreciation for the literature, history, and broader cultures of lands and peoples around the globe. The minor in French prepares students for careers working with companies, organizations, schools, and communities throughout the French-speaking world, including Europe, Africa, Asia, and North and South America.
Our alumni are working in multi-national companies, global non-profit organizations, as well as universities and schools around the world. 60 French corporations are located in the Charlotte, NC, area, with another two dozen in our Upstate region of South Carolina. See the French American Chamber of Commerce of the Southeast Job Listings for a small sample of careers that open up to graduates with French language skills.
Join our USC Upstate French community on Twitter at #FR1011.
For more information, visit the Division of Languages, Literature, and Composition.
Students are required to complete 18 hours, six courses, for the French minor.
Core Course (6 credits or may be completed through credit by exam or advanced standing based on placement test score):
- FREN U201: Intermediate French II
- FREN U202: Intermediate French II or FREN U210 French Oral Communication
French Electives (12 credits):
- FREN U308: Business French (3 credits)
- FREN U309: French Grammar and Composition (3 credits)
- FREN U310: French Conversation (3 credits)
- FREN U320: French Civilization (3 credits)
- FREN U330: Survey of French Literature I (3 credits)
- FREN U331: Survey of French Literature II (3 credits)
- FREN U250 or FREN U350: Selected French Studies Abroad (3 credits)
- FREN U340: French in Digital Environments (3 credits)
- FREN U345: French Cuisine & Expression (3 credits)
- FREN U355: French Thought & Leadership (3 credits)
- FREN U365: French Fashion & Cultures (3 credits)
- FREN U370: Global French Existentialism (3 credits)
- FREN U375: Black Paris (3 credits)
- FREN U385: French & Francophone Feminism (3 credits)
- FREN U395: Translating French Cultures (3 credits)
- FREN U398: Topics in French Language or Literature (3 credits)
- FREN U399: Independent Study (3 credits)
- FREN U402: Masterpieces of French Drama (3 credits)
- FREN U403: Masterpieces of the French Novel (3 credits)
- FREN U499: Internship (3 credits)
- GLST U301: Global Cultures & Identities or any upper-division course from any discipline on a related French topic. Consult with advisor.
With a rich international business community, the Upstate region offers many opportunities to connect with French culture and communities. Michelin is the largest French company in the area, but dozens of other businesses connect France to our own backyard.
How can you connect with French culture online or in the Upstate?
- Follow us on Twitter at #FR1011
- Join the French Club @uscu_frenchclub
- Practice your French on apps like Duolingo
- Listen to French radio, including news in slow French
- Watch French television online
- Explore local cultural events related to French culture, including those hosted by Upstate International or Alliance Française du Piedmont
- Consider applying for a volunteer internship with the North Carolina-South Carolina French-American Chamber of Commerce