The Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) concentration prepares students to teach physical education in grades K-12. In addition to a core program in the liberal arts, students undertake studies in the professional education area as well as in-depth study in physical education. Directed teaching for PETE majors is arranged at both the elementary and secondary levels.
The following are in PDF Format
Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
1. Teacher candidates are well-versed in relevant content and pedagogical knowledge.
1.1 Teacher candidates will possess thorough and accurate knowledge of the content they are preparing to teach.1.2 Teacher candidates will be knowledgeable of human development, learning theories, instructional strategies, diverse learners, and educational psychology.
2. Teacher candidates can identify and apply effective and engaging standards-based lessons for middle level students.
2.1 Teacher candidates can identify and apply effective planning procedures for unit planning.
2.2 Teacher candidates can create and align standards-based assessments through planning a unit.
3. Teacher candidates have the knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions needed to effectively deliver instructions to middle level students.
3.1 Teacher candidates demonstrate knowledge of and capability to implementing a variety of instructional strategies and methods that emphasize student thinking and problem solving.
3.2 Teacher candidates demonstrate thorough and accurate content knowledge of the content they teach and highlight key concepts and ideas.
4. Teacher candidates will demonstrate a positive impact in middle level student learning in clinical change.
4.1 Teacher candidates can analyze assessment data collected in their classroom.
4.2 Teacher candidate can reflect on assessment data results and make recommendation to improve their students’ knowledge of the content.
A degree prepares graduates for teaching in Grades 6-12 in the areas of Math, Biology, Chemistry, Social Studies (History), and English Language Arts.
On-the-job training and internships are available at these places:
- Spartanburg Districts 1-7
- Greenville County
- Union County
- Cherokee County