Home Academics University College Career Management Professional Branding
Making a Good Impression
Why is my online presence important?
- "You never get a second chance to make a first impression." - Will Rogers
- 98% of employers research a candidate online
- 90% of employers factor a job candidates’ social media into their decision making
- 79% of employers have rejected a candidate based on their social media content
How can I check my online presence?
Use this checklist to perform an online audit of yourself and make adjustments as necessary.
Social Media 101:
- Make sure you have a great profile picture and cover photo.
- Write a great bio.
- Never make a post or comment you wouldn’t be comfortable with your grandmother seeing
- Delete any prior posts, comments, or tags which may reflect poorly upon you.
- Follow Upstate Career Management on Facebook and Instagram to stay up to date on all things career related at USC Upstate!
LinkedIn is much more than just Facebook but for professionals - it is the single best professional networking site and can help students:
- Find and apply for jobs
- Get discovered by recruiters as a LinkedIn profile functions as a searchable online resume
- Stand out on applications including your LinkedIn as an e-portfolio displaying various work
- Make and maintain connections with individuals, organizations, and groups of interest
- Build a reputation as an up-and-comer in a field by showing off industry knowledge
AND IT’S FREE – although LinkedIn does offer additional features for a paid subscription, it is generally unnecessary for students.
How to Build a Stellar LinkedIn Profile
- Go to linkedin.com and sign up / log in.
- Use this profile checklist to build your profile.
- Use this review rubric to check yourself.
- Contact Career Management to review your profile and provide feedback (optional).
Note: Don’t forget to follow USC Upstate on LinkedIn!