USC Upstate offers a total of 15 of online and hybrid programs that allow our students to complete a USC Upstate degree in the way that best meets their needs. Over 10% of USC Upstate students are enrolled in fully online programs, and nearly 33% of our students enroll in at least one online course each semester.
USC Upstate’s online programs were ranked the #1 Best Online College in South Carolina by SR Education Group based on low tuition and the highest median annual alumni salaries in the state ($72,700).
Students can choose from over 300 online course sections in majors, minors, certificates, and general education courses across campus. In Fall 2019, 20.69% of all USC Upstate course enrollments were in online classes. USC Upstate is committed to providing quality instruction and course content to students regardless of geographical location or course content delivery format.
Online Degree Programs
Online Undergraduate Degree Completion Programs:
- B.S. in Criminal Justice*
- B.S. in Engineering Technology Management*
- B.A. in English
- B.A. in Health Informatics*
- B.S. in Information Management and Systems*
- B.A. or B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies
- RN to BSN* One to two-year degree completion for RNs who are graduates of an ACEN (formerly NLN) accredited associate degree or diploma program in nursing.
Online Graduate Programs:
- M.Ed. in Applied Learning and Instruction
- M.S. in Nursing, Clinical Nurse Leader (on-site clinicals arranged near you)
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) K-12
*In association with Palmetto College.
Hybrid Degree Programs
More than 70 percent of the course credits are available online with the remainder in hybrid or face-to-face courses.
- B.S. in Business Administration
- B.A. in Child Development and Family Studies
- B.A. in Communication Studies with a concentration in Public Relations
- M.S. in Informatics
- M.Ed. in Special Education: Visual Impairment
To see the hundreds of online and hybrid courses offered each term, search our Course Schedule in Self-Service Carolina.
- Go to Dynamic Schedule
- Select your desired term (fall, spring, or summer)
- Select Campus: USC Upstate
- Select Subject: Click CTRL-A to Select All, or choose a particular subject or subjects
- Select Instructional Method: Highlight Web 100% Asynchronous, Over 50% Web Delivery, Palmetto College Course, or all three (CTRL-click to select multiple options)
Please find your desired degree program for more information.
The purpose of distance education at USC Upstate is to offer existing programs and courses using online and distance delivery methods. It seeks to provide a high quality student experience by expanding the times and places of program offerings and embracing technological innovation. Through partnerships with other educational institutions, businesses, industries and both community and public agencies, USC Upstate will create learning opportunities as they are needed. The institution will show operational stewardship by providing these essential services efficiently.
- To maintain the high quality of existing academic programs delivered through distance education as defined by appropriate accrediting agencies
- To comply with the SREB Principles of Good Practice for distance education
- To ensure the technology used is appropriate to the nature and objectives of the programs
About the Director
Dr. David S. McCurry has worked internationally and in the U.S. for over 35 years in the fields of information and communications technology in education, distance learning, media in education, textbook design and production, extension communications, curriculum and materials development, teacher education and faculty development. He has published in the areas of technology and society, technology in teacher education and African educational research. His professional experience includes 18 years working in African educational development as a Peace Corps Volunteer Leader, U.S. Information Agency/Fulbright Lecturer and Senior Consultant and Interim Chief of Party for USAID and the Institute for International Research (now AIR). He spent eight years as a professor of education in the U.S., achieving tenure and associate professor rank while directing Master of Education programs and electronic portfolio assessment in addition to regular teaching, research and advising duties before moving to South Carolina and launching Jacaranda Educational Development with his wife, Dr. Bonnie B. Mullinix. Dr. McCurry has worked previously for Converse College as the director of distance education and is now the director of distance education at USC Upstate.