Distance Education Support for Students
Distance Education at USC Upstate allows you to study when and where it is convenient for you. It lets you complete your USC Upstate degree your way. USC Upstate online courses use the most up-to-date pedagogical strategies and innovative technologies to engage a community of learners. In distance education classes, instruction may not include face-to-face interaction; therefore, you should plan to study and complete your assignments by working on your own, interacting with classmates through discussions or online communication, and learning with the support of regular feedback from your instructor.
Distance education learners need strong motivation to learn, the ability to work independently, the capacity to follow instructions, and solid time management and study skills. Additionally, the ability to use a variety of technologies is key.
Below are resources and contacts to support your success in courses offered online at USC Upstate:
- View the Frequently Asked Questions for Distance Education
- Are you certain you are ready to be an online learner? Take this brief self-assessment quiz to gauge your readiness for a distance education course. Simply type in your name and click login to begin.
- Seven Digital Learning Tips for Students
- Glossary of Common Distance Education Terminology
- To access any USC Upstate student support services from a distance, visit Virtual Student Services
Distance Education Technology Support
Staying in Contact
- What Internet browsers work best with my Blackboard courses? Quick answer: Google Chrome
- Where do I get the free Blackboard App for Students?
- How do I reset my Blackboard password in Self Service Carolina?
- How do I get around in Blackboard?
- How do I confirm or correct my Blackboard email address?
- Getting too many emails? How do I customize my email and activity stream notifications in Blackboard to highlight only the emails that matter to me?
- How do I email my classmates or instructor from within Blackboard?
Using Blackboard Collaborate Video Conferencing
- How do I join a class session my professor is hosting in Collaborate?
- How do I view a recorded session from my professor or my classmates?
- Tell me more about Blackboard Collaborate Ultra.
Turning in Assignments and Getting Feedback
- How do I use the Calendar to see upcoming due dates?
- How do I view my grades and feedback, including instructor comments, rubrics, in-line comments on my files, SafeAssign Reports, and grades?
- How do I submit an assignment or upload a file in Blackboard?
- How do I contribute to a discussion forum?
Accessibility and Viewing/Listening to Alternative Formats of Course Content
- How do I download course files in more accessible formats or have Blackboard read a file to me?
- How do I receive accommodations for additional testing time or course material formats in Blackboard?
- Complete the Blackboard for Students Quick Start Guide
- Support tutorials can be found on the Blackboard website
- Help with USC Upstate Email
- Office 365
- If you require more in-depth support for please contact the USC Upstate help desk at 864-503-5257, click for current hours. Or call 803-777-1800 for 24/7 Blackboard support while all classes are being held off-campus.