Online Learning Support for Students
Online learning at USC Upstate allows you to study when and where it is convenient for you. It lets you complete your USC Upstate degree your way. USC Upstate online courses use the most up-to-date pedagogical strategies and innovative technologies to engage a community of learners. In online classes, instruction may not include face-to-face interaction; therefore, you should plan to study and complete your assignments by working on your own, interacting with classmates through discussions or online communication, and learning with the support of regular feedback and guidance from your instructor.
Online learners need strong motivation to learn, the ability to work independently, the capacity to follow instructions, and solid time management and study skills to create and stick to a regular study schedule. Additionally, learners benefit from the ability to use and troubleshoot a variety of technologies.
Below are resources and contacts to support your success in courses offered online at USC Upstate:
- What questions should you consider before planning to learn online? Take this brief self-assessment quiz to gauge your readiness for an online course. Simply type in your name and click login to begin.
- To access any USC Upstate student support services from a distance, visit Virtual Student Services
Online Course Technology Support
Blackboard is the learning management system (LMS) we use to connect you to resources and activities in your USC Upstate courses.
Some of your online courses may share all activities, assignments, and content entirely in Blackboard. Others may use Blackboard in combination with an electronic textbook and practice exercise (common in accounting, world languages, mathematics, computer science, etc.). As an online learner, you can expect to use Blackboard to find out about course announcements, view video lectures, turn in discussion boards or assignments, complete tests or quizzes, and keep track of your grades. Be sure to check with your instructors for more details about the features of your courses.
For courses listed as synchronous online, you may use Blackboard "Collaborate" to attend a virtual class meeting with video and audio, meet one-on-one with your instructor or advisor to ask questions or discuss projects, or share screens and files with classmates.
Be sure to log in to Blackboard and check out your courses before classes begin to help you build a good connection with your instructors and courses.
Staying in Contact
Blackboard and the Blackboard Student App also have built-in features to help you keep track of important due dates and to monitor your progress in your courses. A calendar of all courses and email, text, and app notifications can help you manage your time and plan your schedule throughout the term.
- What Internet browsers work best with my Blackboard courses? Quick answer: Google Chrome
- Where do I get the free Blackboard App for Students?
- How do I reset my Blackboard password in Self Service Carolina?
- How do I get around in Blackboard?
- How do I confirm or correct my Blackboard email address?
- Getting too many emails? How do I customize my email and activity stream notifications in Blackboard to highlight only the emails that matter to me?
- How do I email my classmates or instructor from within Blackboard?
Using Blackboard Collaborate Video Conferencing
- How do I join a class session my professor is hosting in Collaborate?
- How do I view a recorded session from my professor or my classmates?
- Tell me more about Blackboard Collaborate Ultra.
Turning in Assignments and Getting Feedback
- How do I use the Calendar to see upcoming due dates?
- How do I view my grades and feedback, including instructor comments, rubrics, in-line comments on my files, SafeAssign Reports, and grades?
- How do I submit an assignment or upload a file in Blackboard?
- How do I contribute to a discussion forum?
Accessibility and Viewing/Listening to Alternative Formats of Course Content
- How do I download course files in more accessible formats or have Blackboard read a file to me?
- How do I receive accommodations for additional testing time or course material formats in Blackboard?
- Complete the Blackboard for Students Quick Start Guide
- Support tutorials can be found on the Blackboard website
- Help with USC Upstate Email
- Office 365
- If you require more in-depth support for please contact the USC Upstate help desk at 864-503-5257, click for current hours. Or call 803-777-1800 for 24/7 Blackboard support while all classes are being held off-campus.