Online Learning Support for Students
Key Technologies for Online Learners
Successful online learners exhibit strong motivation to learn, the ability to work independently, the capacity to follow instructions, and solid time management and study skills to create and stick to a regular study schedule. Courses may not include any required face-to-face interaction. Learners benefit from building skills in using and troubleshooting technologies and practicing proactive communication skills to ask for support and guidance from instructors, mentors, and advisors.
Complete the one-hour Blackboard Quick Start online course & earn your Online Learner BadgeThis one-hour self-guided course gives you a quick tour of Blackboard, where you find the online components of your course. With an introduction to everything from customizing your profile picture to finding online campus communities and resources, this course gets you off to a good start.
- First, log in to Blackboard using the username provided in your admissions materials and your Multifactor Authentication password and app confirmation.
- Once logged in, go to the Quick Start course.
- Click on the message saying, "Click here to enroll." Click the + Enroll option with the green plus sign on the bottom of the course menu on the left.
- Need help logging in? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be added to the Student Readiness Course.
About Online Course Technology
Blackboard is the learning management system (LMS) we use to connect you to resources and activities in your USC Upstate courses.
Some of your online courses may share all activities, assignments, and content entirely in Blackboard. Others may use Blackboard in combination with an electronic textbook and practice exercises (common in accounting, world languages, mathematics, computer science, etc.). As an online learner, you can expect to use Blackboard to find out about course announcements, view video lectures, turn in discussion boards or assignments, complete tests or quizzes, and keep track of your grades. Be sure to check with your instructors for more details about the features of your courses.
For courses listed as synchronous online you may use Blackboard "Collaborate" to attend a virtual class meeting with video and audio, meet one-on-one with your instructor or advisor to ask questions or discuss projects, or share screens and files with classmates.
- What Internet browsers work best with my Blackboard courses? Quick answer: Google Chrome
- Where do I get the free Blackboard App for Students?
- How do I reset my Blackboard password in Self Service Carolina?
- How do I get around in Blackboard?
- How do I confirm my Blackboard email address?
- How do I set my USC Upstate email as my preferred Blackboard email address?
- How do I set my profile picture and list any Other Name or Nickname to share with my instructors and classmates?
- How do I add a recording of my name to help my instructors pronounce my name correctly?
- How do I list my preferred name, gender identity, and pronouns in my student record and Blackboard profile?
Using Blackboard Collaborate Video Conferencing
- How do I join a class session my professor is hosting in Collaborate?
- How do I view a recorded session from my professor or my classmates?
- How do I set my profile picture in Blackboard Collaborate?
- Tell me more about Blackboard Collaborate Ultra.
Turning in Assignments and Getting Feedback
- How do I use the Calendar to see upcoming due dates?
- How do I view my grades and feedback, including instructor comments, rubrics, in-line comments on my files, SafeAssign Reports, and grades?
- How do I view file attachments from my instructor in feedback on my assignments?
- How do I submit an assignment or upload a file in Blackboard Original Courses?
- How do I submit an assignment or upload a file in Blackboard Ultra Courses?
- How do I contribute to a discussion forum?
- What are the guidelines for contributing to discussion boards and other online course communications?
- What if my course is using Blackboard Ultra Course View?
Accessibility and Viewing/Listening to Alternative Formats of Course Content
- How do I download course files in more accessible formats or have Blackboard read a file to me?
- How do I receive accommodations for additional testing time or course material formats in Blackboard?
Staying in Contact
Blackboard and the Blackboard Student App have built-in features to help you keep track of important due dates and monitor your progress in your courses, including a course calendar and email, text, and app notifications.
- How do I email my classmates or instructor from within Blackboard?
- How do I connect my Blackboard calendar to my personal calendar (e.g. Outlook or Google)?
- How do I customize my email and activity stream notifications in Blackboard to highlight only the emails that matter to me? Recommended: upcoming due dates, new feedback or grades posted, work past due.
- Support tutorials can be found on the Blackboard Web site
- Help with USC Upstate Email
- Office 365
- If you require more in-depth support for please contact the USC Upstate help desk at 864-503-5257, click for current hours. Or call 803-777-1800 for 24/7 Blackboard support while all classes are being held off-campus.