As a South Carolina Senior Citizen, you are entitled to take courses through the free tuition program. The state regulation allowing free tuition is detailed below:
State‑supported colleges and universities are authorized to permit legal residents of South Carolina who have attained the age of sixty to attend classes for credit or noncredit purposes on a space available basis without the required payment of tuition if these persons meet admission and other standards deemed appropriate by the college or university and if these persons do not receive compensation as full‑time employees.
Please note that we are only authorized to offer free tuition on a space available basis. Therefore, you will be eligible to register for all courses on the first day of class. We cannot determine if space is available until that time. If you wish to pay regular tuition for your classes, you may participate in early registration and should contact the Admissions Office as soon as possible to make arrangements.
If you would like to participate in the free tuition program, you should come by the admissions office on the first day of class (for the term you wish to enroll) to register for your classes. Our office is located in the Health Education Complex, Suite 2081.
Please visit the links on this page for an application for admission, free tuition application, and free tuition program information. For more information, or if you have any questions, please contact the Office of Admissions, 864-503-5246.
- Apply online at www.uscupstate.edu/apply
- Choose application type degree seeking, non-degree, or audit
- Send transcripts from previous college(s)
- Complete next steps in student technology checklist
- Submit citizenship verification
- Submit residency verification through Self-Service Carolina
- Submit Senior Citizen Tuition Wavier located below
- Plan courses for semester
- Register on the first day of classes each semester*
- Preview our academic calendar
*Please note that we are only authorized to offer free tuition on a space available basis. The costs of any fees, charges, and/or textbooks normally associated with the course remain in effect and must be borne by the student.
- Non-degree for Non-degree Seeking Students