Up for a new path ahead.

Your college journey is unlike any other, and it’s one of the most important experiences of your life. You owe it to yourself to make sure it’s the best path for you and your goals.

Every year, college students from across the country discover their new path at USC Upstate. Transfer students bring unique perspectives, help shape our vibrant culture, and are guided personally through the entire transfer process.  

Visit Our Beautiful Campus

There’s no better way to get a feel for what we’re all about at Upstate than visiting our beautiful 330-acre campus in Spartanburg. You can take a campus tour, speak with a financial aid counselor, meet students and faculty, and feel our energy.

Learn More About How Your Credits Transfer

We have transfer agreements with a number of colleges and universities, which simplifies and streamlines the process for determining which credits you’ve already earned will transfer here. Our experienced advisors will work with you individually every step of the way to map out your graduation plan.

Furthermore, under the Comprehensive Transfer of Credit, we will meet the general education hour requirements for Associate of Arts and Associate of Science graduates from regionally accredited technical colleges. Students without a completed degree will continue to be eligible for course-by-course transfer.  

Apply for Admission

The online application is a simple process. After applying and submitting the $45 non-refundable application fee, make sure to check the status of your application and keep up to date on the enrollment checklist to stay on track.

Requirements for Admission

To be considered for admission, transfer students are required to have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 GPA scale) in all previous college-level course work. 

Transfer applicants must be in academic good standing and eligible to return to the institution last attended. Therefore, applicants who are on academic suspnesion or dismissal from the institution last attended are not eligible for admission to USC Upstate.

Transfer Tuesdays

Transfer Tuesdays are designed for transfer students to meet individually with admissions, financial aid, and advisement staff so that they can help with all of the details to make your transition to USC Upstate a smooth and seamless process. We offer options for flexible scheduling, evening and online courses. Stay connected to register! 

Note: Students are encouraged to bring a copy of their academic transcripts for review of transfer credit.

Join Us for Orientation

Orientation is an excellent chance for you to be introduced to the USC Upstate experience, meet other transfer students, and get a feel for what living the Up mindset, as a part of our community, is all about.

Credential Requirements for Transfer Applicants

If you have attended high school, attended another regionally accredited post-secondary institution and attempted one or more courses, you are a transfer student, regardless of credit earned. We welcome you to our campus community!

Use the Transfer Enrollment Checklist to ensure you stay on track.

Note: Remember that you must also submit an application for admission with a non-refundable application fee. You can apply online.


Official transcripts, mailed directly from the college or university registrar’s office to the USC Upstate Admissions Office, must be received from every institution the applicant has attended. Students currently enrolled should request a transcript of all work completed at the time of application and request that another transcript be sent when all work is completed. Please note that transcripts must be issued within 30 days of sending them to the Upstate Admissions Office to be considered official transcripts.

High School Transcripts/Test Scores
A student who has completed fewer than 30 semester hours of transferable courses at the time of application must also meet freshman admission requirements. Please see the freshman credential requirements for information on high school transcripts and SAT or ACT scores.

Although the University imposes no time limit upon the acceptance of college-level courses and SAT/ACT scores, the deans of the University’s colleges and schools ultimately determine which transfer courses are credited in their programs.

Transferring Credit from an Accredited Institution
For the purposes of admission, a transfer grade-point average is calculated using all credits attempted and all grades earned in college-level courses at other institutions. In addition, transfer credits to USC Upstate must be for academic courses completed with grades of “C” or better from regionally accredited institutions. The number of credits acceptable to the University and the number that may apply toward a particular degree may differ. These credits and grades will also be included in calculating honors for graduation from the University. Colleges within the University have the right to consider all attempted college-level work in determining admission to particular programs and/or advancement into upper-division or professional-level courses. Exemption credit or acceptance of transfer credit by another college has no bearing on the evaluation of transfer credit at the University.

Transferring Credits from a Junior College or Two-Year College
A maximum of 76 semester hours from a regionally accredited junior or two-year college may be transferred the University for degree credit.

Transferring Credit from Military Educational Experiences
A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit by correspondence and credit awarded for educational experiences in the military may be applied toward the baccalaureate degree and must be approved by the dean of the college from which the degree is to be awarded.

Transferring Credit as a Non-Degree Seeking Special Student
A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit earned while classified as a non-degree special student in the University may be applied toward meeting the requirements for a baccalaureate degree. Students transferring to the University from another college or university must, before enrolling in classes at the University, have their transcripts evaluated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the dean of the college in which they will enroll.

Transferring Credit from Non-accredited Colleges
Students transferring from non-accredited colleges may be allowed to validate credit after admission to the University. Details of the validation procedure vary and may be obtained from the dean’s office of the college in which the student is enrolled.

Transferring Credits Earned While on Academic Suspension
Credits earned while a student is on academic suspension from the University cannot be applied toward a degree or used in improving the grade-point average.

View the Transfer Guide for South Carolina Technical Colleges.

Transfer Student Enrollment Checklist

Use this checklist to help guide you through the enrollment process. If you have any questions, contact the office of admissions.

Transfer Enrollment Checklist PDF Document (Printable)

Getting Started

  1. Visit campus: open house, transfer Tuesday or private appointment.
  2. Submit application for admission with application fee.
  3. Request that official transcripts be mailed from each college previously attended directly to the USC Upstate admissions office. ***Unofficial transcripts can be accepted for current enrollment only***
  4. If less than 30 transferrable credit hours were completed at another college or university, also submit high school transcripts.
  5. If less than 22 years of age, submit SAT/ACT scores.

  6. Refer to the USC Upstate financial aid information on the website for details about applying for or transferring financial aid to USC Upstate. Our federal school code is 006951. Use this code to submit your FAFSA at

    Admitted students and next steps
  7. Claim Your VIP ID.  This will allow you to log into the Self Service Carolina.  Detailed instructions can be found in your Welcome Packet or on our website, .
  8. Submit citizenship verification information.
  9. SC Residents Only: Complete Residency Certification for In State Tuition on Self-Service Carolina (
  10. Apply online for campus housing (
  11. Make Orientation reservation online (
  12. Complete on-line math placement testing prior to orientation if a transferrable math course with a grade C or better has not been completed (
  13. Submit immunization records to Health Services (
  14. Submit final college transcripts for any courses completed since application by electronic or mail delivery
  15. Attend orientation (
  16. Pay tuition and fees (
  17. Attend Classes
Citizenship Verification

Pursuant to section 59‐101‐430 of the South Carolina Code of Laws, as amended in 2008, the University of South Carolina has adopted a general enrollment policy effective January 1, 2009. To attend a public University in the state, a student must be a citizen or national of the United States or an alien lawfully present in the United States.

Students must now provide proof of citizenship before being allowed to enroll in classes at the University.

This verification process has been adopted to deter and prevent false claims of citizenship by unlawful aliens attempting to evade the eligibility requirements of section 59‐101‐430.

You must complete the Citizenship Status Verification form PDF Document and send it, along with proof of citizenship* to the University of South Carolina Upstate Citizenship Verification Office.

The deadline for submitting these documents is prior to attending orientation or registration. If the documents are not submitted we will be obliged to place a hold on your registration in order to comply with state law.

*Proof of Citizenship: One of the following documents can be mailed along with the Citizenship Status Verification form:

  • Copy of your South Carolina driver’s license if you first became a licensed driver in South Carolina after January 1, 2002
  • Certified Birth Certificate indicating that you were born in the United States or a territory of the United States.
  • Current U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport that has not been expired more than 10 years
  • Certificate of Naturalization ‐ USCIS Form (N‐550 or N‐570)
  • U.S. government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N‐560 or N‐561)

NOTE: If name has changed since birth, you must present all legal documents (i.e., adoption records, marriage certificate, certificate of naturalization, and court ordered name change) supporting all name changes from the name which appears on the document presented as proof of citizenship.

Scholarships for Transfer Students:

Transfer Scholars
  • $1,000 or $2,000 annual scholarships for entering transfer students
  • Earned 60 semester hours of transferable credit from a two-year or technical college OR an Associates of Arts or Associates of Science degree from an accredited college
  • $2,000 for minimum GPA of 3.50; $1,000 for minimum GPA of 3.0
Shekhina-Courson.jpg Shekhina Courson
Orangeburg Calhoun Technical College
Transfer Scholarship
Shawna-Neds.png Shawna Neds
Greenville Technical College
Transfer Scholarship