Fitness Programs For a Healthy Lifestyle
Campus Recreation offers a variety of fitness programs that aim to meet the workout needs of our patrons. We want to do anything we can to assure you are able to enjoy a full, well-rounded and healthy lifestyle.
Weight Room and Group Fitness Studio
We offer a variety of selectorized Matrix equipment, free weights, and exercise accessories to make sure you can get the best workout possible. There is always a Weight Room Attendant on duty at the Spartan Recreation Center. This means there is always someone you can ask questions to, to help you set up a piece of equipment, and to spot you on free weight exercises.
New to the weight room? No problem. We can set you up with a certified personal trainer for a free 30-minute weight room orientation.
Fitness & Free Weight Area Policies
- Users are strongly encouraged to wear face coverings during exercise, however; face coverings may be pulled down or removed while swimming, participating in cardio activities, or while performing (or recovering from) strenuous exercise that causes respiratory distress. Users should strive to remain physically distant from others while mask is removed. Research from the American Council on Exercise has determined most people can exercise safely with a cloth face covering, provided that they do not have a pre-existing lung or cardiovascular issues and are monitoring their body’s reaction to the workout.
- Do not play music out loud. Instead, use headphones. Only groups that have reserved the Group Fitness Studio through Special Events may shut the doors and play music out loud.
- Only facility staff is permitted to move equipment.
- Wipe down equipment utilizing a sanitizing gym wipe after every use.
- Patrons must be at least 14 years of age. A parent/guardian must accompany dependants 14-17 years of age.
- Appropriate workout clothing including shirts and closed toed shoes are required.
- Small items like foam rollers, yoga mats, hip circle bands etc. must be checked out utilizing a student ID with the Weight Room Attendant.
- 45 lb barbells may only be used at the corresponding bench or power rack.
- Do not lean weights or bars of any kind against the walls, pillars, or equipment.
- Personal training is not permitted, except by Spartan Rec Center Personal Trainers.
- Food is not allowed in fitness areas.
- Using collars/ clips on barbells is required. Place safety bars just an inch below the bottom of the range of motion. Do not remove the safety bars.
- All dumbbells and weights must be re-racked after use. All free weights must be kept in free weight area.
- Olympic Weightlifting is prohibited
- Report all injuries and maintenance concerns to the Weight Room staff.
- Please place personal items in the storage compartments available or in the locker room
Register for a Class
Spartan-X Group Fitness
All classes are completely free for students and members. Download the “USC Upstate Spartan Rec app” to register, view class descriptions, view instructor bios and more! Classes are offered virtually and in-person.
This app offers live occupancy, Spartan-X registration, announcements, special events, a place to chat with friends and more.
Please download the app and enter all the requested information to create a profile. You can register for classes directly through the app before arriving. When you arrive, just say your name and our attendant will mark your attendance. It’s as easy as that.
Don’t have a smart phone? No problem.
You can register online at app.fitdegree.com
*Please be sure to withdraw from the class you signed up for if you realize you can no longer attend. This prevents you from being locked out.
*Please arrive early to check in, and bring water with you.
Contact Sarah Joseph at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Get more out of your training with guidance from a certified professional. A personalized program with a personal trainer will help you live healthier and achieve your fitness goals.
Learn more about personal training rates and programs.
Interested in assessing your current body composition, strength, blood pressure, cardiovascular fitness and flexibility? These are just some of the tests that we can perform to determine your current fitness level. Once your results are analyzed, we will give guidance on an ideal training program for you!
Free 30-minute orientation
All members of the Spartan Rec Center are entitled to one free 30-minute orientation with a certified personal trainer. This is your opportunity to discuss your goals and obtain feedback on the best way to reach them. Sign up today!
If you have any questions, contact Sarah Joseph.
Let Fit Spartans on Wheels bring the workout and fitness education to you. Fit Spartans on Wheels brings fitness instructors from the Spartan Recreation Center to your department or organization to provide exercise classes and fitness education for your group. Start your staff meeting or take a break with a Fit Spartans on Wheels exercise session. No prior experience is needed to participate in any of the classes. Fit Spartans on Wheels also provides educational workshops that help take your health knowledge and experience to the next level.
Choose from the exercise sessions and educational workshops below or request a special topic or class.
- Making the Most of your Activity
- Strength for Life
- Fitness Fact Vs. Fiction
- Workplace Health
- Injury Prevention
Ab Blaster: It doesn’t take 2 hours to create a sculpted core. Try these short abdominal classes designed to fit into any busy schedule.
Barre: This class is a fun way to get a full body workout. This class focuses on proper alignment. We'll work on upper body, lower body, abs, and flexibility using the barre. Please bring water and arrive to class early to check in.
Cycle: Improve your cardiovascular endurance on our cycle bikes while riding to rocking music. Intervals, hill climbs and sprints will get you in your best shape over the 30 or 45 minute class. Appropriate for all fitness levels. Water is mandatory for this class.
Dance-X: Dance like no one is watching! Dance-X transforms the group fitness studio into a unique atmosphere perfect for a cardio dance-based fitness class. We'll bust a move to the latest hip hop and pop music. This class is high energy and lots of fun. You won't even realize you're working out. No dance experience is necessary; just come ready to have fun and let your body move to the music!
Aqua Stand Up: This is your fun and efficient fitness solution. You will utilize a paddleboard that is in a fixed position in the pool to work your entire body. Elements of yoga, pilates, and bodyweight training will be utilized.
Legs, Core, and Cardio: Legs, core, and cardio is just that. The class begins with legs and bodyweight cardio work and then transitions to more core work.
Yoga: Gentle Yoga is designed to improve flexibility and balance for stress reduction through simple stretches and balance postures. Please arrive early to check in.
Foam Rolling: Whether you are a college athlete or a desk jockey, this class is for you! Foam rolling is a self-massage class designed for any level of fitness. This deep tissue massage is achieved by slowing rolling over various areas of your body. You'll help break up adhesion and scar tissue as well as speed up the healing and recovery process after your workout.