The Upstate CARE (Campus Assessment, Referral, and Evaluation ) Team supports the safety, health, and well-being of all students, faculty and staff. Its goal is to provide a structured, positive method for addressing student behaviors that may adversely affect the community and other students, or may involve mental health and safety issues.
Submit an "R U OK?" / Student CARE Team Referral
Anyone who feels a student is a risk to herself/himself/themselves or the community can make a CARE Team referral. When an "R U OK?" or Student Affairs Reporting Form is received, the CARE Team assesses the report and formulates a response. The response may include referrals to university resources that support the well-being and safety of students.
If you are concerned about someone’s health, well-being, or safety, submit a referral at "R U OK?" or call the Division of Student Affairs at 864-503-5107 (Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 5 pm. Non-emergency referrals submitted after 5 pm will not be received until the next business day).
In the event of an emergency, contact Upstate University Police Department at 803-503-7777 or call 911 or the After-Hours Crisis Line at 864-503-5195, Option #2.
When to register a CARE Team Referral
- Suicide attempt or talking about suicide
- Illegal drug use
- Disordered eating
- Self-harming behaviors
- Emotional distress
- Substance abuse
- Unusual behavior
- Grief or Intense Loss
- Emotional distress
Signs or Signals to Consider Before a CARE Team Referral
- Significant changes in energy
- Frequent state of intoxication
- Significant weight loss
- Worrisome changes in hygiene
- Noticeable cuts, bruises and burns
- Sleeping in class or at other inappropriate time
- Inappropriate emotional outbursts
- Direct statements indicating distress
- Expressions of hopelessness or suicide
- Peer concerns for another student
- Exaggerated personality traits (more withdrawn or animated than usual)
- Deterioration in academic work
- Disorganized or concerning performance
- Repeated absences and missed assignments
- Ranting or threatening emails
- Continual seeking of special provisions or permissions
For general academic concerns, refer to the Upstate Student Success Center