Below are some frequently asked questions and answers.

If you have additional questions, please contact us and we will do our best to answer them as quickly as possible.

How do I make an appointment?

To make an initial appointment with a Counseling Services, call our office at 864-503-5195 durring the hours below. Please be prepared to give us your contact information including your name, university email, and your daytime phone number. You may also schedule your first appointment using our secure MyHealth portal.

Monday-Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. 
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Saturday: CLOSED
Sunday: CLOSED

Is there a fee for counseling services?

Counseling Services provides free counseling and medication management services to currently enrolled University of South Carolina Upstate students.

Are the services completely confidential?

Use of services and personal information shared by a client with their counselor is confidential in accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), South Carolina Code of Laws and professional ethics codes. No information is released to parties, outside of Counseling Services for purposes of care, without a client’s written permission. Under these provisions, University administrators, faculty, family members, law enforcement officials, potential employers and others have no access to any of our clients’ records without the client’s written permission.

Please note that the following exceptions to confidentiality apply:

  • Information may be shared with a clinical supervisor and/or peer consultation group.
  • If you have signed an Counseling Services Release of Information Form PDF Document Download allowing disclosure of information to a third party.
  • If it is a counselor’s judgment that there is a substantial risk that a client will do physical harm to themselves in the near future, it is the counselor’s duty to take steps to protect the client’s safety.
  • If it is a counselor’s judgment that there is a substantial risk that a client will do physical harm to an identifiable other person (or persons) in the near future, the counselor will take steps to protect the safety of the endangered person (or persons).
  • If information is shared with a counselor indicating that a child or dependent adult is currently being abused, state law requires that the information is reported to the Department of Social Services serving the area where the child or dependent adult lives.
  • If ordered to do so by a judge as part of judicial proceedings, Counseling Services may release information contained in your counseling record.

The Notice of Privacy Practices is available for download here from the Counseling Services website: 

Notice of Privacy Practices PDF Document Download.

What do I do in a crisis?

Between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, call Counseling Services at 864-503-5195, Option #1 or come to the Counseling Services office (John M. Rampey, Jr. Center, 490 Hodge Drive, Spartanburg, SC 29303) and MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOU ARE IN CRISIS. Students will be seen as soon as possible.

If you are experiencing a crisis after hours, please call Counseling Services at 864-503-5195, Option #2 to speak to an on-call counselor.

Can I speak to a therapist during or after office hours?

If you call the center during office hours (864-503-5195, Option #1) you may ask to speak with the Clinician of the Day. The Clinician will not offer therapy on the phone but will assist with emergencies, students in urgent need, or help you get an appointment. If you need assistance after hours, please call Counseling Services at 864-503-5195, Option #2, and you may speak with an on-call counselor.

How do I cancel/reschedule an appointment?

In order to cancel or reschedule an appointment please call our front desk 864-503-5195, Option #1.  We request a 24 hour notification.

Can faculty or staff use Counseling Services?

Counseling Services encourages faculty and staff to consult with counselors when concerned about students.  This often provides opportunity for the center to provide outreach to students that are identified as in distress.

University of South Carolina Upstate faculty and staff are not eligible for personal counseling services. 
USC Upstate’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP), provides information and support for personal life issues. 

EAP services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 1-866-327-2400 for more information.

How long can I get therapy at Counseling Services?

You can access services as long as you are a student at USC Upstate.

Are psychiatric services available on campus?

Yes, psychiatric services are available to students at no cost. To learn how you may make an appointment, please call us at 864-503-5195. Students will need to meet with a counselor prior to being placed on the Psychiatrist’s schedule.  Please be aware that controlled substances will not be prescribed. Please refer to the resource guide if you are in need of obtaining a controlled substance off-campus. In addition, there is a $25 no-show fee in the event that a student does not show for a scheduled psychiatry appointment.

*If you are an incoming student, please arrive on campus with at least 2-3 months of medications prior to switching your services to Counseling Services for medication management.

Can I walk in and be seen immediately?

Counseling Services has a Clinician of the Day available Monday – Friday from 8 am – 6 pm. Students will be triaged according to need. Students may walk-in to the center or call 864-503-5195, Option #1 to inquire about triage services. 

Can I request a certain clinician?

Yes, you may request a specific clinician. However, due to clinician availability or therapeutic specialty, another clinician may be recommended and/or assigned. 

Do you offer couples therapy?

Couples counseling is available. At least one member of the couple must be a current University of South Carolina Upstate student and must schedule the initial appointment. Family counseling is not offered. 

Can Counseling Services help me find a therapist outside of USC Upstate?

Counseling Services has a list of community referral resources and is happy to provide this information.

Do you offer ADHD Testing?

ADHD testing is offered through Counseling Services for USC Upstate students.  Slots are limited and available on a first-come basis. An initial prescreening with a counselor is required and if appropriate the individual will be referred for testing. A minimal cost for testing is required prior to comprehensive testing.

Do you offer career counseling or career testing?

For career-related concerns or assessments, please contact Career Management. They may also be reached by calling 864-503-5392.

What if I have to take medical leave?

If you are out on medical leave whether psychological or physically related, contact the Dean of Students office at 864-503-5107. This office will notify your instructors that you will be out of class. This does not guarantee these are excused absences.

If you are considering withdrawing from classes due to medical concerns, please contact the Dean of Student’s office at 864-503-5107.