Disability Services FAQ

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions.

Do I have to apply if I had an IEP or 504 in high school?

You MUST apply with us if you want accommodations. Your services will not simply transfer to our office, you must register with our office to receive services through Disability Services. Having an IEP or 504 in high school is helpful for us to look at as part of your application for a Reasonable Accommodations Plan, but it does not guarantee services.

How do I apply for services with the Office of Disability Services?

  1. Visit Disability Services on the web. 
  2. Scroll down to “Register With Us” where you will fill out an application and then hit submit. The next screen will allow you to upload any documentation that confirms your disability.
    1. NOTE: If you do not have the documentation to upload, you can have your documentation emailed to DSINFO@uscupstate.edu or by fax to 864-347-3328.
  3. Once your application is submitted and documentation received, someone will review them and you will then be contacted to set up either a phone, virtual, or in-person meeting to discuss your accommodation needs.

What type of documentation do I need to submit?

IEP’s and 504’s are good for background information, but they do not document a disability. Documentation will vary based on your diagnosis. If you have a psychological evaluation, that would document your disability. If you do not have a copy, you can get a copy from your school district. If you have a medical or psychological diagnosis your current health care provider can provide documentation that states your diagnosis, how it affects a major life function, and possible accommodation needed. Please see our forms link if you would like a send a form for your treating professional to fill out and send back to our office.

After I have filled out the application and uploaded documentation, what will happen next?

Please call our office at 864-503-5199 and schedule an appointment.  During this appointment, we will begin the interactive process.  Please be prepared to discuss your disability and how it affects you. We will discuss all aspects of your possible needs and your strengths.  The letter of accommodation will be written at this meeting.

Will I receive the same accommodations that I received in high school?

Students should not assume that accommodations provided in high school will also be given in college. Also, in high school some IEP’s contained modifications as well as accommodations. The college provides reasonable accommodations but does not modify course content or objectives; accommodations are provided to ensure equal access.

What types of classroom accommodations are considered?

Examples of possible classroom accommodations are 50% extended time on tests and quizzes, distraction reduced room for testing, use of a digital recorder in class, use of a four-function calculator in math, etc. Accommodations can vary based upon needs and type of disability.

How can I schedule my tests to be taken in the Disability Testing Center?

You must have testing accommodations through our office to take tests in our testing center.  Please download Proctor Sheet from our website. The student needs to fill out the top of the form and the professor needs to complete the bottom of the form.  Only completed forms will be accepted.  The proctor sheet MUST be turned in 5 days before the test date.  If it is a final exam, the proctor sheet is required to be turned in 2 weeks before the final exam date. If you are in the Mary Black School of Nursing, please fill out the proctor form for nursing courses.

What other services are provided?

Our office also provides academic coaching.  These sessions are initiated by the student who wishes for further help academically.  In these sessions, we cover topics such as time management, study skills, organization, and test-taking skills.

We can also provide accommodations for Housing and Residential Life and Dining Services.  To receive accommodations for Housing and Residential Life, please complete the Special Housing Accommodation Form. The student will need to complete Part 1. Their current health care provider needs to complete Part 2. 

Please contact our office to discuss Dining Services accommodations.

Can I receive accommodations for a temporary disability?

Yes, you can receive accommodations for a temporary disability.  Please contact our office to discuss your temporary disability accommodation needs. You will need to provide documentation of your temporary disability from your treating health professional.