Spartans Care is a campus-wide initiative that encourages USC Upstate students to support, respect and take responsibility for one another. Spartans Care strives to foster a community where students reach out to students in need and assist in referring them to appropriate resources on campus.
The purpose of this initiative is to:
- Share a listing of campus and community resources that supports students in academic and personal matters.
- Promote participation of students in the lives of their friends who may not know how or feel comfortable seeking assistance from university resources.
- Assist in connecting students with campus resources.
- Reach out to students who are either self-identified or identified by others, to provide appropriate referrals.
- Teach faculty, staff and students about the resources available for our Upstate community.
- Avoid isolation of students who need assistance.
- Nurture a community that values and cares about each other.
- Send a positive message to students about our care and concern for them and their success.
Dear Upstate Students,
The Division of Student Affairs, in collaboration with Academic Affairs, has introduced a new initiative called “Spartans Care.” The purpose of the initiative is to instill the value of a caring community and allow students to assist other students who may be in crisis. We hope to promote that students can effectively help their peers identify resources and offices that can assist them. By eliminating bystander behavior and engaging with others, everyone has the opportunity to support success in our community.
If you know a fellow student who is having a hard time or could pose a danger to him/herself or others, please contact us, submit the online report or refer them to one of our many campus resources. Spartans do care about each other, Let's show our personal support and encouragement.
In Spartan Care,
Many of you may wonder what this icon is all about and how it affects you. Over the past few years, we have seen an increase in the number of students who have been in crisis along with the normal stress of their academic programs. This campaign is a way we hope to assist students who are in need.
Current Spartan Pantry Needs (updated 11/10/17)
The pantry is seeing an increased need for donations of the following items:
- Toiletry items: HIGH need for deodorant (shampoo, soap, deodorant, etc.)
- Dry pasta and pasta sauce
- Pop top soups, pastas and other foods that can be heated/eaten directly from container
- Snack type items (granola bars, fruit snacks, applesauce, etc.)
- Canned meats
- Peanut Butter (Creamy and Chunky) and Jelly
- Single serving fruits
- Breakfast foods (individual serving cereal boxes, breakfast bars, oatmeal/grits)
- Individual serving bags of chips
Monetary donations can also be made to the Spartan Pantry account through the USC Upstate Family Fund. To donate, please see our web page or drop off your donation to the foundation office located in the Administration Building. Make checks payable to the USC Upstate Foundation and put Spartan Pantry in the memo line.
The mission of the Spartan Pantry is to provide food, nutritional information, and other basic necessitates to University of South Carolina Upstate students in need, as well as educate the campus population on poverty and hunger.
Contribution to USC Upstate’s Mission
In line with the academic mission and core values of the University of South Carolina Upstate, Spartan Pantry will provide students with food and other basic necessities which will help reduce stress to aid in them being engaged as academic learners. Spartan Pantry will also educate student to help them engage in our local community and prepare them to participate at responsible citizens.
Purpose of Spartan Pantry
- Spartan Pantry Food Pantry exists to collect and distribute food and other non-perishable items to USC Upstate students who are in emergency need throughout the year.
- The food assistance portion of the Food Pantry is open to any USC Upstate student who does not currently have a meal plan.
- The Pantry will be operated on an honor system.
- Any student, faculty, and staff can refer a student to The Pantry.
- Spartan Pantry will provide a resource to students, faculty, and staff regarding poverty and hunger related issues as they pertain to USC Upstate students and the Greater Spartanburg Area.
- Spartan Pantry will collect and analyze data from surveys sent out to students throughout the year as well as Pantry usage.
The Spartan Nutritional Assistance Campaign Food Pantry is a proud member of the College and University Food Bank Alliance (CUFBA).
The office of Counseling Services provides free and confidential comprehensive psychological services to full and part-time students. The office also offers support and information in the event of a psychological or emotional crisis.
Dean of Students
The office of the Dean of Students works with students in personal, family, financial or academic crises to identify resources and options to help through difficult times. If a student may miss class for an extended period of time, the office will help notify and keep faculty informed about the situation.
The office of Disability Services at the University of South Carolina Upstate works to ensure that educational programming and services are accessible to students with disabilities.
The office of Health Services offers health care and education to all enrolled students on an outpatient basis. A nurse practitioner is available on a full-time basis by appointment. Our office offers a variety of informational health care flyers and brochures.
Student Success Center
Includes Academic Support Services, Advising Services, Career Services and Opportunity Network, and exists to help students succeed in their studies, graduate from USC Upstate in a timely manner and begin a career or enroll in graduate studies. The Student Success Center also houses the USC Upstate Testing Center, tutoring programs, supplemental instruction and the early intervention program.