Intern Housing

USC Upstate is close to several major employers including BMW, Nestle and Milliken, to name a few. During the summer months, housing is available to college students from other institutions across the country who are completing required internships in this area.

  • Summer Interns are housed in our on-campus apartments, The Villas. The Villas are two bedroom apartments. Each intern will enjoy their own bedroom and bathroom. Room assignments are same gender and assignments are made based off date of application (including required documentation), receipt of application fee and availability.  

  • To begin the process of applying for internship housing, please email Please include the dates you need housing, as well as the dates of your expected arrival and departure. A member of our staff will get back to you with information specific to your dates of stay, including an intern housing agreement.

    Please note, you will be required to submit the following documentation, along with a completed housing agreement:

    • Statement from your academic advisor that your internship is related to your course of study. This letter must also indicate what university you attend and that you are a current student.
    • Statement from your home university that you are in good disciplinary standing.
  • USC Upstate is located in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Spartanburg has an urban population of approximately 200,000 and is located in the Upstate region of South Carolina, within about an hour of Charlotte, North Carolina and less than three hours from Atlanta, Georgia. Spartanburg is home to cultural activities, festivals and amazing restaurants. Both the mountains and the beach are within close proximity.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does my rent cover?

Your rent includes your apartment, laundry, cable, and internet access.

When is my payment due?

Your full payment is due the day you pick up keys. However, it is possible to break the total payment up into a monthly payments. You must notify our office before the intern housing agreement is executed if you wish to make monthly payments.

Payment can be made to the Housing and Residential Life office. Payments must be in cash (exact change only), check or money order. At this time, our office is unable to process credit/debit card payments.

Do I need a parking pass?

There are no parking passes during summer. However, our office will want your car information in case of emergency.

How do I report a maintenance issues with my apartment?

You can access our online work order request or contact our office at 864-503-5422. For after-hours maintenance emergencies, you can contact the conference assistant on call at 864-809-8305.

Do I need renter's insurance?

You are strongly encouraged to have renter’s insurance. The insurance policies that Housing and Residential Life have cover university property (buildings and furnishings) but not items that belong to individuals.

What should I bring?

You are welcome to decorate your room and space but additional charges may result from any damage in the apartment.

*Only Televisions with a QAM Tuner will work with our cable provider.

What should I not bring?

  • Halogen style lamps, Oil Lamps and Lava Lamps
  • Extension Cords
  • Personal Microwaves
  • Candles (not even for decoration) 
  • Incense
  • Pets (Fish in a 20 gallon or less tank are allowed)
  • Items with Heating Elements
  • Irons without automatic shut off
  • Christmas Lights