Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Pi Omicron Chapter
Founded Nationally: Indiana University Bloomington, January 5, 1911
Chartered at Upstate: 2009
Symbol(s): Diamond, Red Carnation, Laurel Wreath
Color(s): Crimson & Cream
Nickname(s): Kappa, Nupe
National Affiliation: National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC)
Chapter Instagram: theprettyomazingnupes
Kappa Alpha Psi is the beautiful realization of a vision shared commonly by the late Revered Founders Elder Watson Diggs, John Milton Lee, Byron Kenneth Armstrong, Guy Levis Grant, Ezra Dee Alexander, Henry Tourner Asher, Marcus Peter Blakemore, Paul Waymond Caine, Edward Giles Irvin and George Wesley Edmonds.
It was the vision of these astute men that enabled them on Jan. 5, 1911, on the campus of Indiana University at Bloomington, Indiana, to sow the seed of a fraternal tree whose fruit is available to, and now enjoyed by, college men everywhere, regardless of their color, religion or national origin. It is a fact of which Kappa Alpha Psi is justly proud that the constitution has never contained any clause that either excluded or suggested the exclusion of a man from membership merely because of his color, creed, or national origin. The constitution of Kappa Alpha Psi is predicated upon, and dedicated to, the principles of achievement through a truly democratic fraternity.
The objectives of Kappa Alpha Psi are:
- To unite college men of culture, patriotism and honor in a bond of fraternity
- To encourage honorable achievement in every field of human endeavor
- To promote the spiritual, social, intellectual, and moral welfare of members
- To assist the aims and purpose of colleges and universities
- To inspire service in the public interest
Guide Right is the national service program of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., and encompasses many of our youth-oriented programs such as mentoring, college-preparatory programs and tutoring. The Flagship Initiative of the Guide Right Service Program is the Kappa Leadership Development League.
* These are the national minimum requirements. Chapters may have higher standards. Please reach out directly to the chapter to inquire about their chapter requirements.