Living Learning Community
Leadership and Service Living Learning Community
The Leadership and Service Learning Community is a cohort of residential students who believe leadership development and making a difference in the community are fun and rewarding experiences. This community strives to promote a vibrant group of socially conscious individuals focused on developing leadership skills through academics and community-based experiences.
The Leadership and Service community is a residential program in which participants live in the residential halls on the same floor or within close proximity to each other with a Residential Adviser directly assigned to this community.
The following categories outline the main opportunities for leadership and service community members:
- Leadership: Students will participate in regularly scheduled leadership workshops focusing on the Social Change Model of Leadership Development (SCM). Participants will alsParticipation Requirements
- Civility with an emphasis on the campus and local community: Completion of at least 10 hours of service in the Greater Spartanburg and Greenville Communities per semester. Participating students can complete these requirements through individual service projects, community projects coordinated by the group or by projects offered through the other campus offices.
- Capstone Project: During the spring semester, students will participate in the student-led initiative in which they work in groups to plan and implement a service project for the community using the skills they have learned from this program.
All students will be required to complete an application explaining why they would like to be part of and what they hope to bring to the community. Decisions regarding who is admitted into the program are made by Housing and Residential Life.
If selected to be part of this program, participants will be expected to meet the following requirements:
- Live in the residential hall as assigned by Housing and Residential Life and abide by all housing policies.
- Have and maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA while participating in the program
- Be in good social and academic standing with the University of South Carolina Upstate
- Complete the required leadership and service components of the program.
- Participants should anticipate dedicating two-four hours each week to the program.
Why you should consider the Leadership and Service community?
The Leadership and Civility LLC is ideal for students with a passion for community engagement and leadership development. It is the ideal place for you to meet others interested in giving back to the community and learn important skills to become a leader. It is fun and engaging and will help you feel at home here at USC Upstate.
The Leadership and Civility LLC community not only offers involvement in service projects and leadership development, it also provides a welcoming sense of community and fosters friendships among participants. The Leadership and Civility LLC community not only offers involvement in service projects and leadership development, it also provides a welcoming sense of community and fosters friendships among participants.