Campus Recreation offers a variety of fitness programs that aim to meet the workout needs of our patrons. We want to do anything we can to assure you are able to enjoy a full, well-rounded and healthy lifestyle.
Register for a Class
We’ve gone digital!
Spartan-X Group Fitness Registration will be taking place through our new app, “USC Upstate Spartan Rec,” available for free in the app store.
This app offers live occupancy, Spartan-X registration, announcements, special events, a place to chat with friends and more.
Please download the app and enter all the requested information to create a profile. You can register for classes directly through the app before arriving. When you arrive, just say your name and our attendant will mark your attendance. It’s as easy as that.
Don’t have a smart phone?
Don’t worry, you will be able to register with our attendant at the door. Just let them know that you don’t have a profile.
Instructor: Bryanna Fowler
- Barre 6:30 - 7:20 p.m. - Monday and Wednesday
- Foam Rolling - 7:30 - 7:55 p.m. - Monday and Wednesday
- Yoga Friday - 11 a.m.
Instructor: Tyler Wallace
- Legs, Core and Cardio - 6 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday
Ab Master (30 min)/Blaster (10 min)
It doesn't take two hours to create a sculpted core. Try these short abdominal classes designed to fit into any busy schedule.
Get a toned and tight core in 50 minutes with this cardio and abs Spartan-X Class! This class is flexible to serve the needs of all students - it will get beginners into shape, it will challenge advanced athletes. Both men and women are welcome.
Improve your cardiovascular endurance on our cycle bikes while riding to rocking music. Intervals, hill climbs and sprints will get you in your best shape over the 45 minutes. Appropriate for all fitness levels.
Combining a motivating mix of popular dance music, oldies, and international music, this 50 minute class helps both beginners and seasoned athletes break the plateau through dance.
A hot 50-minute workout with the best hip-hop and popular music. This high energy workout will burn calories while boosting your twerk technique like never before.
A 45-minute, total body, pool workout. Cardio-respiratory endurance is increased and joints are moved through their full range of motion. The intensity of your workout is governed by your conditioning level.
Lower Body Xpress
Lower body focused class in only 30 minutes. Various weighted and body weight exercises combine with abdominal exercises to tone, firm and lift your booty while sculpting thighs and shrinking love handles.
A 50-minute dance inspired, low impact and high intensity program using the bars. This class is designed to engage the whole body with a focus on stability, flexibility and stamina to deliver results.
Shred and Stretch
Get shredded with a time effective, high intensity interval training workout that engages your entire body. Get flexible and relaxed with 20 minutes of calm stretching. Come for one or stay for both.
Upper Body Xpress
Only 30 minutes. Combine classic upper body weight room exercises with great music, effective technique and the creative talents of the USC Upstate group fitness team to deliver improved muscular endurance of the shoulders, chest, bis, tris, back (lower and upper), and the abdominal region.
Gentle 50 minute yoga improves flexibility and core strength. Slow yoga flow and calm breathing strengthens and relaxes people of any fitness level. Meditate and stretch away the stress of the day. Try out each of our instructors to experience their different styles.
Barre 20 person limit
A total body conditioning workout. It’s a low impact, and high-intensity workout using the bars. This class is designed to engage the whole body with a focus is on stability, flexibility, and stamina to deliver results.
Foam Rolling 12 Person Limit- Focused on improving the health of your body’s fascia, this class hurts so good you will want to come back time and time again.
Yoga 30 person limit
Gentle yoga improves flexibility and core strength. Slow yoga flow and calm breathing strengthens and relaxes people of any fitness level. Meditate and stretch away the stress of the day.
Legs, Core, and Cardio 30 person limit
Get a toned and tight core, and lower body with this cardio and abs Spartan-X Class.
Check out IMLeagues.com to see the full schedule and to sign up for classes. All classes are free for all members.
USC Upstate also offers personalized training programs to help you get the most out of the Wellness Center. These programs will enhance your physical fitness, and aid you in achieving your fitness goals. Learn more about personal training rates and programs.
All members of the Spartan Rec Center are entitled to one free 30-minute Fitness Orientation with a certified personal trainer. This is your opportunity to discuss your goals and obtain feedback on the best way to reach them. Contact Sarah Joseph to sign up today.
Weight Room and Group Fitness Studio
We offer a variety of selectorized Matrix equipment, free weights, and exercise accessories to make sure you can get the best workout possible. There is always a Weight Room Attendant on duty at the Spartan Recreation Center. This means there is always someone you can ask questions to, to help you set up a piece of equipment, and to spot you on free weight exercises.
New to the weight room? No problem. We can set you up with a certified personal trainer for a free 30-minute weight room orientation.
Weight Room Policies
- Wipe down equipment after use.
- Only authorized personnel of the Spartan Recreation Center are allowed to provide personal training services.
- Individuals using free weights are required to use safety collars/clips.
- Appropriate attire is required at all times:
- Denim shorts/pants and open-toed shoes and prohibited.
- Shirts are required at all times; uncovered sports bras are prohibited
- Personal training is not permitted, except by Spartan Rec Center Personal Trainers.
- No food or drinks (except water or a sports drink) are allowed in the Weight Room. Drink must be in re-sealable containers.
- No Olympic Weightlifting (e.g., clean, clean-jerks, snatch).
- No leaning weights or bars of any kind against the walls, pillars, or equipment.
- No top loading.
- Maintain control of your weights at all times.
- No standing on equipment benches, frames or weights other than intended by manufacturer.
- Foam rollers/ Ab rollers and other equipment must be checked out from Weight Room Attendant with student ID.
- No jumping rope in the Weight Room or hallways.
- Olympic-sized bars may only be used at the corresponding bench or power rack.
- Free weight equipment must remain in either the Weight Room or Fitness Studio; moving equipment to another floor is strictly prohibited.
- All dumbbells and weights must be re-racked after use.
- Personal belongings such as backpacks, books, clothing, etc. may not be placed anywhere on the Weight Room floor. All walkways must remain clear.
- Patrons must be at least 14 years of age.
- A parent/guardian must accompany dependents 14-17 years of age.