Campus Recreation offers a variety of fitness programs that aim to meet the workout needs of our patrons. We want to do anything we can to assure you are able to enjoy a full, well-rounded and healthy lifestyle.
Weight Room and Group Fitness Studio
We offer a variety of selectorized Matrix equipment, free weights, and exercise accessories to make sure you can get the best workout possible. There is always a Weight Room Attendant on duty at the Spartan Recreation Center. This means there is always someone you can ask questions to, to help you set up a piece of equipment, and to spot you on free weight exercises.
New to the weight room? No problem. We can set you up with a certified personal trainer for a free 30-minute weight room orientation.
Weight Room Policies
- Wipe down equipment after use.
- Only authorized personnel of the Spartan Recreation Center are allowed to provide personal training services.
- Individuals using free weights are required to use safety collars/clips.
- Appropriate attire is required at all times:
- Denim shorts/pants and open-toed shoes and prohibited.
- Shirts are required at all times; uncovered sports bras are prohibited
- Personal training is not permitted, except by Spartan Rec Center Personal Trainers.
- No food or drinks (except water or a sports drink) are allowed in the Weight Room. Drink must be in re-sealable containers.
- No Olympic Weightlifting (e.g., clean, clean-jerks, snatch).
- No leaning weights or bars of any kind against the walls, pillars, or equipment.
- No top loading.
- Maintain control of your weights at all times.
- No standing on equipment benches, frames or weights other than intended by manufacturer.
- Foam rollers/ Ab rollers and other equipment must be checked out from Weight Room Attendant with student ID.
- No jumping rope in the Weight Room or hallways.
- Olympic-sized bars may only be used at the corresponding bench or power rack.
- Free weight equipment must remain in either the Weight Room or Fitness Studio; moving equipment to another floor is strictly prohibited.
- All dumbbells and weights must be re-racked after use.
- Personal belongings such as backpacks, books, clothing, etc. may not be placed anywhere on the Weight Room floor. All walkways must remain clear.
- Patrons must be at least 14 years of age.
- A parent/guardian must accompany dependents 14-17 years of age.
Instructor: Bryanna Fowler
- Barre 6:30 - 7:20 p.m. - Monday and Wednesday
- Foam Rolling - 7:30 - 7:55 p.m. - Monday and Wednesday
- Yoga Friday - 11 a.m.
Instructor: Tyler Wallace
- Legs, Core and Cardio - 6 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday
Register for a Class
We’ve gone digital!
Spartan-X Group Fitness Registration will be taking place through our new app, “USC Upstate Spartan Rec,” available for free in the app store.
This app offers live occupancy, Spartan-X registration, announcements, special events, a place to chat with friends and more.
Please download the app and enter all the requested information to create a profile. You can register for classes directly through the app before arriving. When you arrive, just say your name and our attendant will mark your attendance. It’s as easy as that.
Don’t have a smart phone?
Don’t worry, you will be able to register with our attendant at the door. Just let them know that you don’t have a profile.
USC Upstate also offers personalized training programs to help you get the most out of the Wellness Center. These programs will enhance your physical fitness, and aid you in achieving your fitness goals. Learn more about personal training rates and programs.
All members of the Spartan Rec Center are entitled to one free 30-minute Fitness Orientation with a certified personal trainer. This is your opportunity to discuss your goals and obtain feedback on the best way to reach them. Contact Sarah Joseph to sign up today.
Let Fit Spartans on Wheels bring the workout and fitness education to you. Fit Spartans on Wheels brings fitness instructors from the Spartan Recreation Center to your department or organization to provide exercise classes and fitness education for your group. Start your staff meeting or take a break with a Fit Spartans on Wheels exercise session. No prior experience is needed to participate in any of the classes. Fit Spartans on Wheels also provides educational workshops that help take your health knowledge and experience to the next level.
Choose from the exercise sessions and educational workshops below or request a special topic or class.
- Making the Most of your Activity
- Strength for Life
- Fitness Fact Vs. Fiction
- Workplace Health
- Injury Prevention
Ab Blaster: It doesn’t take 2 hours to create a sculpted core. Try these short abdominal classes designed to fit into any busy schedule.
Barre: This class is a fun way to get a full body workout. This class focuses on proper alignment. We'll work on upper body, lower body, abs, and flexibility using the barre. Please bring water and arrive to class early to check in.
Dance-X: Dance like no one is watching! Dance-X transforms the group fitness studio into a unique atmosphere perfect for a cardio dance-based fitness class. We'll bust a move to the latest hip hop and pop music. This class is high energy and lots of fun. You won't even realize you're working out. No dance experience is necessary; just come ready to have fun and let your body move to the music!
Latin Dance: The class will cover the basics of popular styles of dance found throughout Latin America. You'll learn techniques used in Bachata, Cumbia, Merengue, and Salsa.
Legs, Core, and Cardio: Legs, core, and cardio is just that. The class begins with legs and bodyweight cardio work and then transitions to more core work.
Yoga: Gentle Yoga is designed to improve flexibility and balance for stress reduction through simple stretches and balance postures. Please arrive early to check in.
Foam Rolling: Whether you are a college athlete or a desk jockey, this class is for you! Foam rolling is a self-massage class designed for any level of fitness. This deep tissue massage is achieved by slowing rolling over various areas of your body. You'll help break up adhesion and scar tissue as well as speed up the healing and recovery process after your workout.