Some of the most frequently asked questions and answers.

How do I register complaints against, or commend police department personnel?

USC Upstate Community members are encouraged to register complaints against, or commend police department personnel by emailing the Chief of Police at the following address:

Chief Klay D. Peterson


How do I report a crime?

From any campus phone, dial 7777 for the police, fire department or medical assistance. University Public Safety may also be reached 24 hours a day by dialing 911. You may also pick up one of the emergency phones on any of the emergency call boxes throughout campus.

Can I get into or stay in a building after hours?

After the last class of each day, the campus buildings are locked. Access after hours for anyone who does not have a key will be provided by University Public Safety only when written authority is granted by a University official responsible for the area.

Where do I pay my parking ticket?

You can look up your fine online and pay online.

Is it safe to walk on campus after dark?

Because afternoon and evening classes are popular with many students, the University is an active place well into the evening hours. The campus is well lit and University Public Safety makes regular patrols during the evening hours to ensure the safety of students, faculty and staff. If you are uneasy about walking to your car after dark, call University Public Safety and request an escort. They will be glad to assist you.

What is pre-trial intervention and how do I apply?

Pre-trial intervention is an effort to work with first-time offenders to keep them out of court. A person can only participate once (anywhere in the state of South Carolina). Acceptance is dependent on factors of the type of charge, the offender's criminal history, the victim's recommendation, the officer's recommendation and possibly the restitution amount. The application fee is $50.00. Additional fees will be added if you are accepted. To find out more information, go to the Seventh Judicial Circuit Pre-Trial Intervention Programs, 180 Library Street, Spartanburg, SC 29304, (803) 596-2630.

What is the drug policy on campus?

The complete Drug and Alcohol Policy is distributed to new students each semester. Copies are available at all times from the USC Upstate Counseling Services Center. Generally, the policy prohibits the unlawful manufacture, possession, sale or distribution of controlled substances and drug paraphernalia. Penalties may include probation, suspension, and criminal prosecution. USC Upstate also complies with the Drug-Free School Act of 1989, which requires university officials to turn over to authorities, for arrest and prosecution, any person who illegally uses drugs.

Alcoholic and Other Drugs University Policy PDF icon image

What is the alcohol policy on campus?

Alcoholic beverage consumption by anyone under the legal public age and public displays of drunkenness, including driving under the influence, may be dealt with by referral for assessment and possible community service requirements, in addition to any criminal prosecution, where the fines could be upwards of $225.00 and/or a 90-day suspension of your drivers' license. For further details, please see the USC Upstate Drug and Alcohol Policy, or ask a University Public Safety Officer.

Alcoholic and Other Drugs University Policy PDF icon image

What do I do if I am a victim of sexual assault?

The University encourages students to report any incident of sexual assault on campus immediately to University Public Safety (503-7777), a counselor in the USC Upstate Counseling Services Center (503-5195), or the Dean of Students (503-5107). These offices also stand ready to help a student who is the victim of an assault on campus.