blackboard for students
Blackboard is an online course delivery system where your instructors may post announcements, course syllabi, assignments or other information. Essentially, it is a mobile classroom that is accessible any where you have an Internet connection, so you can take full advantage of your education even if you are not on campus.
- Blackboard now has VoiceThread installed, allowing you to share content in a variety of formats. See here for more information
- Important course-related announcements/communications
- Review your grades
- Access course-related videos and lectures
- Submit assignments and take tests online
- Communicate with instructors and classmates
- Access direct links to library information and databases
- Access to course related documents and syllabi
- All students who are currently enrolled or have taken classes in the past year
This service is free to any student at USC Upstate.
- Windows 7 or newer (PC)
- Mac OS X 10.5 or newer (Apple)
- Internet access
- One of the following web browsers: Internet Explorer 11+ or Edge 20+ (Windows only), Firefox 31+, Google Chrome 36+, Safari 6+ (Mac only)
To use Blackboard you must obtain your USC network username and password, which is different from your USC Upstate login, by following the steps below:
- Click on the following link: manage user account
- If you have not claimed your SSC account yet, click on "Account Claiming". Otherwise, choose one of the other options below
- If you don't know your password, click "Forgot Password"
- If you don't know your username, click "Forgot IDs"
- Once you have created a new password you should be able to login to Blackboard through the USC Upstate homepage or by going directly to https://blackboard.uscupstate.edu
- Once successfully logged in you will be presented with your "My USC" screen with a list of all your courses on the right side.
- Remember: your Blackboard password will expire every 6 months and must be reset in SSC using the steps above.
Staying in Contact
- How do I reset my Blackboard password in Self Service Carolina?
- How do I confirm or correct my Blackboard email address?
- How do I customize my email and activity stream notifications in Blackboard to highlight only the emails that matter to me?
- How do I email my classmates or instructor from within Blackboard?
Using Blackboard Collaborate Video Conferencing
- How do I join a class session my professor is hosting in Collaborate?
- How do I create my own session to collaborate with classmates?
- How do I record my own session in Collaborate?
- How do I view a recorded session from my professor or my classmates?
- Tell me more about Blackboard Collaborate Ultra.
Turning in Assignments and Getting Feedback
- How do I use the Calendar to see upcoming due dates?
- How do I view my grades and feedback, including instructor comments, rubrics, in-line comments on my files, SafeAssign Reports, and grades?
- How to I submit an assignment or upload a file in Blackboard?
- How do I contribute to a discussion forum?
Accessibility and Viewing/Listening to Alternative Formats of Course Content
- How do I download course files in more accessible formats or have Blackboard read a file to me?
- How do I receive accommodations for additional testing time or course material formats in Blackboard?
- Quick Overview of Blackboard Updates for Spring 2020
- Complete the Quick Blackboard for Students Quick Start Guide
- More support tutorials can be found on the Blackboard website
If you require more in depth support please contact the USC service desk at 803-777-1800. They will be offering 24/7 Blackboard support while all classes are being held off campus.