Blackboard for Faculty
Blackboard is an online course delivery system where faculty can post announcements, course syllabi, assignments or other information for your students. Essentially, it is a mobile classroom that is accessible anywhere you have an Internet connection, so you can post assignments, communicate with your students and grade papers even if you are not on campus. Remember that Blackboard is operated by USC Columbia, not USC Upstate. If you cannot find the answer to your question in the support tutorials, you can find the help desk information for USC Columbia below.
USC will be upgrading to Blackboard 9.1 Service Pack 13 in December 2013. Click here for more information on this upgrade.
Features: (Why should I use this?)
- Send important course-related announcements/communication
- Grade papers
- Publish course-related videos and lectures
- Post assignments and tests online
- Communicate with students
- Post direct links to library information and databases
- Upload course-related documents and syllabi
Available To: (Who can use it?)
Rates (Do I need to pay to use it?)
This service is free to any faculty or staff member at USC Upstate.
Requirements for Use: (What do I need to use it?)
- Windows XP or newer (PC)
- Mac OS X 10.5 or newer (Apple)
- Internet access
- One of the following web browsers: Internet Explorer 8 or later (Windows only), Firefox 3.6 or later, Google Chrome, Safari 4 or later (Mac only)
- Sun Java JRE 6 (download)
How Do I Get Started?
To use Blackboard you must obtain your USC network username and password, which is different from your USC Upstate login, by following the steps below:
- Login to VIP.
- Lookup your Network Username and reset your password if necessary under "Technology" (see instructions below).
- Once you have set your password you should be able to login to Blackboard through VIP, on the "Faculty and Staff" section of the USC Upstate homepage or by going directly to https://blackboard.sc.edu.
- Once successfully logged in, you will see your "My USC" screen with a list of all the courses you teach.
- Remember: your Blackboard password will expire every 6 months and must be reset in VIP using the steps above.
If you require more in depth support, contact Blackboard Support in Columbia: