Overview: (in Respondus’s words)
Respondus is a powerful tool for creating and managing exams that can be printed to paper or published directly to Blackboard, and other learning systems. Exams can be created offline using a familiar Windows environment, or moved from one Learning Management System to another. Whether you are a veteran of online testing or relatively new to it, Respondus will save you hours on each project.
Features: (Why should I use this?)
- Distinct user environments for Blackboard
- Create exams and assessments offline using a Windows interface
- Supports up to 15 question types
- Import questions from Microsoft Word
- Access to thousands of Respondus-compatible publisher test banks
- Create several versions of the same test - students sitting next to each other will have a different versions with questions in a different order
- The Respondus LockDown Browser will also be available to all faculty and students through Blackboard
Available to: (Who can use it?)
- All faculty members who have a need for it and students taking a test in the LockDown Browser
Rates: (Do I need to pay to use it?)
- This software is free to all faculty. To have the software installed or obtain an updated license code, please contact the Help Desk or follow the instructions below.
Requirements for Use: (What do I need to use it?)
- Windows XP or later
- 32 MB RAM
- 10 MB of free hard disk space
How Do I Get Started?
- From your University computer connected to the Upstate network go to the following location in Windows Explorer: \\upitscs\Apps\Respondus.
- Run the Respondus35Campus executable file.
- Follow the on screen prompts to accept the license agreement and install the software.
- Once the software has installed, go back to the \\upitscs\Apps\Respondus folder and open the Respondus.password.thru.7.31.xx text document where xx is the latest year.
- Open Respondus and enter the license information from this document into the registration window when prompted.
- Check out Respondus.com for free tutorials on how to use the software.
- For free test banks for instructors, see here.
Support Tutorials and Troubleshooting
Respondus LockDown Browser: (What is it?)
Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading. Available for both Windows and Mac.For an introduction to Respondus LockDown Browser, see the demo movie here.
Important Notice: Respondus LockDown Browser will not work with Read & Write Gold or other screen reading software. If you need to send a test to a student with special needs, please contact Disabilities Services at (864) 503-5199 before using the LockDown Browser for the test.