Frequently Asked Questions


Why should I work on campus?

Working on campus has many benefits. On campus departments realize the importance of academics and will work around class schedules. Pay rates are competitive with other local businesses. Working on campus provides great job experience to use on future resumes and helps students network with faculty and staff.

What paperwork do I need to fill out before starting work?

It is mandated by the federal government that all employees fill out an I-9 and W-4 Form no later than the end of the first day of work. To ensure adequate time to get paperwork processed so the employee is paid on time, the student employee should go to the Human Resources office in the Stockwell Administration Building as soon as he or she is hired. Tell the receptionist that you need to complete an I-9 and W-4 form. The receptionist will start the process and Ron Patane will later complete the process. In order to complete these forms, an original driver’s license, student ID or other form of picture identification AND an original birth certificate or social security card is needed. Payment cannot be made until the paperwork is completed and processed.

Upon hire, where do I go to complete I-9 and W-4 Forms?

Upon hire, visit the Human Resources office on the 3rd floor of the Stockwell Administration Building to complete the I-9 and W-4 forms. All new employees must present the required identification documents. The required documents must be current and not expired. Only original are accepted—no copies, pictures or faxes. Many U.S. citizens bring either: (1) a U.S. Passport or (2) a state-issued driver’s license or identification card and a Social Security card or birth certificate. Payment cannot be made until the paperwork is completed and processed. 

How often do I need to renew my paperwork with Human Resources?

The I-9 and W-4 forms, which are completed at the beginning of work, expire every three years. Please make sure they are up-to-date before starting work each semester.

My supervisor asked me to read, discuss and sign a Confidentiality Agreement. Is this required?

Yes. Students are an integral part of USC Upstate. When working, you may be exposed to information that is confidential in nature. Student, departmental and institutional integrity is paramount.

Can I work more than one job on campus?

Yes. Students may work multiple jobs on campus, depending on their scheduling and availability. Students are advised to put their education first and not become overwhelmed. If a work study award has been granted, the employee can work more than one job, as long as the set hours and possible earnings are not exceeded.

How many hours will I work every week?

This will vary depending on department need and your availability.

Where do I learn more about financial aid?

Review the Financial Aid Office pages on the Upstate webpage for information or visit the Financial Aid office in the HEC.


What types of jobs are offered on campus?

There are many different jobs offered depending on which departments need student workers for the semester. The jobs vary from office work to building maintenance. Search for open positions on the USC Jobs system. Check back often—new jobs are posted each week.

Is there a listing of available jobs on campus?

Search for open positions on the USC Jobs system. Check back often—new jobs are posted each week.

How do I apply for a job on campus?

Search for open positions on the USC Jobs system. Click on the job you wish to apply for, then click "Apply to this posting." Follow the directions to complete the entire application. Be sure to write down your username and password for future reference.

Are supporting documents required with my application?

Cover letters, resumes, references and other supporting documents are sometimes required for a job. This information will be found on the job listing. It is always beneficial to include these items just for good measure. See Career Services for assistance in creating these documents.

Can one application be applied to more than one job?

Yes. Applications will be saved under the specific username and password submitted. At any time, access to this application is available by clicking on the "Create/Edit Application link." Periodically, an application may need updating so that it will be current.

I would like to work in the Dining Services area; how do I apply for those jobs?

Sodexo is an external company contracted to provide USC Upstate dining and food services. Sodexo does employ Upstate students. To apply for a job with Sodexo, visit the Sodexo office in the lower level of the Campus Life Center building.

Are there any jobs that I can apply for that will help me with my major?

A complete list of all jobs available on campus is located on the USC Jobs system. Some jobs that pertain to a specific major are filled by the department and are not posted. Check the web site and also ask professors or advisors if they know of any openings.

What should I do after I apply for a job?

After an application is complete, submit any supporting documents required. Introduce yourself to the employer. This helps the employer put a face with a name and shows that you are interested in the job. Also, log in to see the status of the application. This will let you know if the job has been filled or if the application is still under review by the department.

Payment Issues

What can I expect the pay to be?

Just like any job, the amount of pay will be determined by the department. This will be based on experience and the type of job. On campus jobs pay a minimum of $7.25 per hour.

How will I get paid?

It is required that all USC Upstate employees, including student employees, set up direct deposit. In VIP, click on the "Employment" tab and then on the "Direct Deposit" link. Until direct deposit is complete, a printed check will be issued for pickup at the cashiers' windows in the HEC building.

I don’t have a checking or savings account; is there a bank on campus?

Carolina Collegiate Federal Credit Union has a branch in HEC room 3000.

When do I get paid?

Paychecks are issued on the 15th and the last day of every month. If this date falls on a weekend, you will be paid the Friday before.

Where can I find a copy of the pay schedule?

The pay schedule is located on the USC Payroll website. Also, a hard copy can be found in the Human Resources office on the 3rd floor of the Stockwell Administration Building, room 321.

Are student positions ever eligible for pay raises?

This depends upon the job. However, most employers do reward exemplary work with a pay raise.

When should my hours be entered?

Hours should be entered before the beginning of the next week (before Sunday morning) to ensure payment on time. However, it is best to enter these hours after the last day of work that week.

Where can I find my pay stubs?

Pay stubs are available through the Employee login in VIP. Click on the "Employment" tab and then on "View Past Paychecks."

What if I cannot find my paycheck?

If direct deposit has not been set up on time, the first paycheck can be picked up at the cashiers' windows in the HEC. If it is not there, contact Ron Patane, the student employment coordinator, at 864-503-5323.

Who do I contact if my paycheck/direct deposit has not come through?

First, make sure that all necessary paperwork is completed, and all hours in HCM (Time and Absence System) have been submitted. If this was done correctly and there is still a problem, please contact Ron Patane, the student employment coordinator, at 864-503-5323.


How do I log in to VIP as a student employee?

Complete the required I-9 and W-4 forms before your first day of work. You must wait seven to 10 business days after completing the required forms before you can log into VIP as a student employee. To login, enter your social security number and default pin into step three. The four-digit pin will be your birth month and year. Change the pin when prompted. Failure to change the pin after 30 days will result in your being locked out of VIP.

How do I reset my pin number if I cannot remember it?

Please contact Ron Patane in the Human Resources office at 864-503-5323.

I changed my VIP student employee pin but I cannot login to HCM. What should I do?

After a VIP PIN number is changed or reset, a 24-hour wait period is required before access to HCM (Time and Absence System) is granted.

My student VIP record has "incorrect" or 9999 for birth date. What should I do?

The Admissions office on campus will correct this problem when given the original birth certificate.

My student VIP record has incorrect Social Security Number. What should I do?

The Registrar’s office will correct this problem when given the original social security card.

How do I set up Direct Deposit?

Log on to VIP as an employee by entering the correct birth date, month and year into the "step 3" box. Change the pin when prompted. Failure to change the pin after 30 days will result in your being locked out of VIP. Click on the "Employment" tab on the left side of the screen. Then click on the "Payroll Direct Deposit" link and follow directions. The routing number and account number should be located at the bottom of checks issued by your bank.

How do I find out how much I make an hour?

This information can be found through VIP. It will be up at the top of the pay stub. Also, supervisors should know this information.  

HCM (Time and Absence)

What is HCM?

HCM is a Time and Absence System that USC Upstate uses to allow employees to enter their hours and have them approved by their supervisor.

I cannot login to HCM. What do I do?

First, make sure all necessary paperwork is completed and at least seven to 10 business days have passed since completing the paperwork, for processing. Reset the pin in VIP to a four-digit number that is not your birth date, and then wait 24 hours and try to log in again. If this was done correctly and you still cannot log in, please contact Ron Patane, the student employment coordinator, at 864-503-5323.

How do I enter hours?

Open your Internet browser and go to the HCM (Time and Absence System)

Log in to HCM using the correct social security number and VIP four-digit pin. Then, click on “Add Time Code” in the upper right corner. Select the appropriate work week from the drop down box at the top. Fill in the boxes with the hours worked and then click "Send for Approval." This will send the timesheet to the correct supervisor to be approved. Once approved, the hours are extracted for payroll.

What do I do if my supervisor did not enter/approve my hours in time for the correct pay date?

The supervisor can fax the time sheets from the HCM (Time and Absence System) to Ron Patane at 864-503-5323. A pay advance of no more than 80 percent of the original check can be issued.

Who do I contact with problems with HCM?

First, make sure all necessary paperwork is complete and all hours have been submitted in HCM (Time and Absence System). If this is done correctly and problems persist, please contact Ron Patane at 864-503-5323.


What is Work-Study?

Work-Study is a financial aid award given to eligible students. Students must complete the FAFSA for the appropriate academic school year.

How do I know if I have Work-Study?

Work-study funds are limited and go to students with the most need. Some students may have Work-Study in their financial aid award and not even know it. Check your financial aid package on Banner.

Must I have a Work-Study award to get a job on campus?

No, some jobs designate that only students with Work-Study awards should apply. However, there are on-campus job postings for both students with Work-Study awards and students without Work-Study awards.

What does it mean if a job is Work-Study?

This means that only students who have the Work-Study award will be considered for the job. If Work-Study is available, the student will receive a full paycheck just like anyone else, however, their employer will only pay 25 percent of it and the federal government pays the remaining 75 percent.

If I am awarded Work-Study, is there a time requirement on how soon I find a job and begin working?

Federal Work-Study awards expire 30 days after the first day of class each semester if a student has not found a job. Contact the Financial Aid office for more details.

I have been awarded Work-Study; do I need to find a job?

Yes. Apply to postings the same way that non Work-Study students do. Search for current openings. Note that the Federal Work-Study award will expire 30 days after the first day of class each semester if a job is not found. Contact the Financial Aid office for more details.

Am I guaranteed a job on campus if I have been awarded Work-Study?

No, having a Work-Study award is an opportunity to work, but not a guarantee.

What happens if I don't find a work-study job by the hiring deadline?

There is a deadline for each semester to find a work-study position. The deadline each semester is about one month after the first day of classes. keep in mind that your work-study can be canceled by the Financial Aid Office if you do not take active steps to locate a work-study job.

Are there jobs that students with a Work-Study award should not apply?

No. Students with Work-Study awards are not limited to jobs that indicate Work-Study. Students with Work-Study award may apply for any job but may be first pick for specifically indicated Work-Study jobs.

How will I be paid?

You will be paid by the hour and your earnings are subject to taxes. Paychecks are disbursed twice per month. You will record the hours worked in HCM (Time and Absence System) to receive full payment for those hours according to the University payroll schedule. Be certain to complete your direct deposit information in VIP when you are hired. Ask your hiring department for further details.

How much can I make?

Your earnings will be at least the current federal minimum wage; however, you could be paid more depending upon the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total FWS award depends on your financial need, the amount of other aid you will receive and the availability of funds at FIU.

You are strongly encouraged to monitor your earnings so that you do not exceed your FWS award amount. Don’t forget that your award is subject to tax withholdings. Remember, the amount you earn cannot exceed your total FWS award.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. You may work no more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session. Your work study position will end when your funds are depleted or the end of the semester is reached.

I do not have a Work-Study award; can I apply for a job that specifies Work-Study?

You may apply, but the department posting the position may only be seeking students who have Work-Study awards.